Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque/Horsepower Specs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MontanaLifted, Sep 5, 2002.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have torque/horsepower specification charts for late '70's GM 350cu and 305cu engines???

Here's the bonus question:
    -What's the "best" way to tell the difference between a 305 and a 350?
    (Without having to pull the heads and mic'n it.)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Late 70's stock 350's were either 160 or 165 hp and about 265 lb/ft of torque. 305 was about 11 hp/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Best way to tell is to check the block numbers and check em on www.mortec.com
    The numbers are on a machined pad on the passenger side where the block and the cylinder head meet. Without dis-assembly it's visible behind and below the alternator. I used a toothbrush and some degreaser to clean the area and then a mag light to see better.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

rene

3. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Yes, thanks tRustyK5. I've got my block number from when I swapped out intake manifolds. I was having trouble finding a good place to run the number so the link helped!
    But I was looking for the Torque/Horsepower line graph that shows the differences at different RPM's.

Thanks...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Desktop dyno or something similar would do that for you...I think the torque and horsepower curves are pretty similar for both the 305 and 350 in stock trim...the 305 being equally less powerful through the range. Both would have a decent amount of off idle torque and fall off fairly low in the RPM band. IIRC hp peaked at about 4000 rpm.

Rene