Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque plus intake gaskets?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Saw these in jegs yesterday.....

Anybody tried these? Any difference in gas mileage?

Sounds like another scam to me...

For anybody who doesn't know what im talking about its an intake gasket with a screen over the intake ports... supposed to "re-atomize" fuel and give you 10-15% better mileage.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I bet if you used that gasket, with a Tornado... Youd get 30mpg and 400Hp :grin:

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Its probably a crock of sh*t because I am sure the big 3 have already looked into that technology back in the carburator emissions days and would have put it on all there cars.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I want to puke everytime i see that piece of garabage on speed channel. They got soccer moms reading cards saying how much power the tornado adds and how they bought one for all their cars....:mad: :screwy: :surepal: :haha: :rotfl: :ignore:

ever notice on their dyno test they say it added 20 hp but the dyno only reads 10? I'm sure the 10 gain is bs too.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Probably be great if you wanted to show your friends that you could drop washers down your carburator and it'd still run.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have used them, and I honestly did notice better throttle responce. You guys can put them down all you want, but till you try them for yourself, ..... well. :deal:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nothing new...

When I worked in an old parts store in a small town,where parts didnt always sell that fast,I saw some strange looking carb gaskets in dusty packages on a shelf in the upstairs of the store where old parts from the 40's 50's and 60's were stashed away--they were thick gaskets,and had what looked like stainless steel screen sandwiched into the gaskets,--they claimed on the box it would "de carbonize" the intake and valves,pistons,and increase fuel economy--judging by how many were on the shelf,it appeared they didnt sell very well..

I showed them to a few of my customers that were "gearheads" like myself,one bought one and installed it under the holley carb on his 74 K5 with a 396 we rebuilt in the machine shop for him--he drove it to his summer camp in maine and he claimed it did feel a bit more ballsy climbing the steep hills on the highway,and he used about a 1/4 tank less of fuel than usual--I was tempted to try one on my own truck,but I never did..the "screened"intake gaskets must do pretty much the same thing--

I can see that making the air/fuel mixture a "fog" rather than raw fuel spitting into the intake would improve the combustion process(much like EFI does today)--but I doubt it would make enough difference to tell without a labratory--and I wonder if the motors they were used on had any detonation or pinging problems??--with todays gas,I bet the screens would carbon right up with soot,and choke off the engine!--

I was amazed at the deposits on the valve heads on a car my friend did a head gasket on the other day--looked like a charcoal briquet under each intake valve head--and the car ran great,except for the anti freeze leaking into the cylinders due to the gasket rotting out--he took the valves out and wire brushed and chiseled all the carbon off the valve stems,and re-assembled the head with new valve stem seals,and a new head gasket --the customer said it went so much better he thought he swapped another motor in it--:crazy:

He claimed it had been sluggish since he bought it 5 years ago!!...I have heard from many mechanics carbon build up is a big problem again--it was a big problem in cars of our fathers and grandfathers,then it wasnt an issue for a long time--now its being a problem on many newer cars again,especially the northstar caddy motors and many others--must be the gas they are selling us now,or the engine design:confused: ...

8. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I would just put on some heads with really good swirl to mix the fuel really well in the chamber (ehem vortec).