Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque spec question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Peeetah, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I just replaced my rear seal today and threw the oil pan back on. My question is about torque specs. The pan uses 1/4 20 bolts for the most part with 5/16 18 studs at each corner. My book says 80 in lbs for the 1/4 and 165 in lbs for the 5/16. I am halfway there on each size and the gasket looks pretty spread out. I don't want that thing cracking. I'm not a real "till it feels right" guy so if anybody has any thoughts they would be much appreciated.

Peter Schneider
    81 Jimmy

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well 80 inch pounds is just under 7 ft/lbs, thats not very tight and it should'nt squish the gasket very much. 165 inch pounds is about 14 ft/lbs, again not very tight. Are you using an inch/lb torque wrench? Is it set correctly?

I used the Moroso one piece oil pan gasket on mine a couple of months ago. The gasket is rubber with steel inserts for the bolt holes, its almost impossible to over tighten, it comes with all new bolts, and best of all its easy to install and NO leaks! [​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Yeah I'm using inch/lbs. I purchased a napa Hi performance gasket with steel inserts but it did not fit the block. I have a goodwrench 350 crate motor with the oil dipstick on either side feature. Only choice for gasket is GM part.

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Well personally I have never torqued the oil pan gasket on any of my motors, and have never had any problems. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'm going to assume that you are using a cork gasket. Start at the center on each side and step torque them. Forty in lbs initially and then move to the next bolts (on each side, forward then the aft bolts). If one side looks like it is settling in farther than the other stop and work on the other side. Keep going back and forth until all the 1/4 bolts are torqued to 40 in lbs. Do the 5/16 bolts to 40 in lbs also. Move up to 80 in lbs and torque the 1/4 in bolts (in the same fashion) to 80 along with the 5/16 bolts. Once all the bolts are torqued to 80 in lbs, torque the 5/16 bolts to 165 in lbs. If the gasket has started to squish out more than likely it is split. Make sure you have the correct front seal.

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

the guys who posted before me I agree with, also you might want to spread a little RTV black over the gasket surfaces. Not much mind you. Just a coating. GOOD LUCK