Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque specs for front bearings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trogdor4x4, Feb 23, 2004.

1. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

Just what it says for a 4x4, 91 w/automatic hubs (I don't know if you need that information)

I tried to get my front end aligned and they say my bearings need to be tightened, but I couldn't find the torque specs for it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

And, is there anything I need to do or should do to keep it from backing out?

Obviously you can tell I am new at this. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

First you need the special hub tool. Looks like a beer can with an opened end with like 4 teeth. you can rent these from murrays/autozone or just buy one. Then you tighten the first nut down when it gets down to snug spin the rotor at the same time tighten it very snug. Then start backing it off slowly, and try and pull the rotor in and out. When you start to feel the very slight movement, tighten just enough to make the movement stop. You can even have a tiny amount of movement to make up for bearing expansion, but its at the brink of no movement. Then you take the lock ring and line up the little tab into the one of the holes of the first nut. Then install your second nut and tighten that down so it wont come undone.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The spec is zero preload, period.

How you get there is a matter of many opinions, but simply put, the spec is zero preload.

4. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

thanks that is very helpful. the beer can looking thing came with the truck when I bought it. I have taken the hub apart but I never knew what is the correct way to tighten it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The spec is zero preload, period.

How you get there is a matter of many opinions, but simply put, the spec is zero preload.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant remember if it was GM or Ford with the .005 play, I just do a really small amount of play for when the bearings heat up and expand. Im not trying to say your wrong, I wasn't completely sure. Yeah, just do zero reload since your a beginner /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

.005 isn't something you can exactly measure or feel. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It's not that critical, just don't leave them loose and don't overtighten them.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IIRC tighten the inner nut to 50 ftlb while spinning the rotor, back off 90* then tourque to 35 ftlb while spinning. Put lock ring on torque outer nut to 50 ftlb Not sure on outer spec but I am pretty sure those inner specs are right out of my Haynes manual /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    .005 isn't something you can exactly measure or feel.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure ya can. A dial indicator will show you exactly how much end play you have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just be sure to measure after the outer nut is tightened. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. HarryH3

Those specs are missing the last and most imporatant step... Back off the inner lock nut about 1/2 turn. If you leave the bearings under load then they will run hot on the highway. As they heat up and expand they end up way too tight if you don't have some endplay in them while cool. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif There's an acceptable endplay spec listed in the factory service manual. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh yeah, the spec for the outer lock nut is much higher for axles that have the factory automatic locking hubs. Since part of the sensing mechanism on those hubs is referenced to the outer lock nut, the nut needs to be much tighter to keep from coming loose. The spec shown in my '87 service manual is 183 ft/lbs! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    .005 isn't something you can exactly measure or feel.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure ya can. A dial indicator will show you exactly how much end play you have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just be sure to measure after the outer nut is tightened. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really get out a dial indicator to set your wheel bearings?

I realize that there might be a book correct method of getting to that preload spec, but my method works fine.

11. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you really get out a dial indicator to set your wheel bearings?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have done it before just to see how much it changes after tightening the outer nut. The answer is "A LOT"! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif