Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque specs question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, May 14, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

just wanna know what to torque second lock nut(the outer one) on front wheel bearing for a 1985 3/4 ton 4 x4 K20??

Buddy of mine told me i could tighten that pretty hard...i hope hes right! :blush:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Outer nut is 50 lbs.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Directly from HELM. It seems that everyone has a different answer for this one. WHEEL BEARING ASSEMBLY AND ADJUSTMENT

1. To reassemble the wheel bearings: drive the outer bearing cup into the hub, replace the inner bearing cup, and insert the repacked bearing.

2. Install the disc or drum and outer wheel bearing to the spindle.

3. Adjust the bearings by rotating the hub and tightening the inner adjusting nut to 50 ft. lbs., then loosening it and retightening to 35 ft. lbs. Next, back the nut off 3/8 turn or less. Turn the nut to the nearest hole in the lockwasher. Install the outer locknut and torque to a minimum of 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm) on 1980 models, 160-205 ft. lbs. (216-277 Nm) on 1981 and later 1/2 and 3/4 ton models, and 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm) on 1 ton vehicles. There should be 0.001-0.010 in. bearing end-play. This can be measured with a dial indicator.

4. Replace the brake components.

5. Lubricate the locking hub components with high temperature grease. Lubrication must be applied to prevent component failure. For 1/2 ton 1980-82 and 1980-84 3/4 and 1 ton models, install the spring retainer plate with the flange side facing the bearing over the spindle nuts and seat it against the bearing outer cup. Install the pressure spring with the large end against the spring retaining plate. The spring is an interference fit; when seated, its end extends past the spindle nuts by approximately 7/8&inch;. Place the inner clutch ring and bushing assembly into the axle shaft sleeve and clutch ring assembly and install that as an assembly onto the axle shaft. Press in on this assembly and install the axle shaft ring.

You can install a 7/16 in. bolt in the axle shaft end and pull outward on it to aid in seating the snapring.

6. Install the actuating cam body in the cams facing outward, the outer clutch retaining ring, and the internal snapring. Install a new O-ring on the retaining plate, and then install the actuating knob in the Lock position. Install the retaining plate. The grooves in the knob must fit into the actuator cam body. Install the seals and six cover bolts and torque them to 30 ft. lbs. Turn the knob to the Free position and check for proper operation.

4. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

small difference between 50 and 205 ft/lb :eek:

5. 4X4HIGH

It wouldn't be the first time i've seen mistakes in shop manuals. There is no way in hell i would be tightening the outer nut to 160-205 lbs. Every manual i have says 50 lbs. on the outer nut with the same instructions on the inner as you've posted.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I guess the GM manual for my '89 is wrong too since it says 160 ft/lbs minimum. Damn shop manuals. :angry1:

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The GM manual is the Helm, and it is correct. Do whatever you want it is your truck....just stay away form me if you are the type to shadetree your truck.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I agree I have the GM Service Manuals and it says 160-205 also. But Dana 60 is only 50 for some reason.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

That was meant to be sarcastic.:doah:

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I know.... my comment was not directed at you. :thumb:

11. 4X4HIGH

Yep, was probably directed at me. I really don't care though since i am the most anal person when it comes to repairing a vehicle correctly. I also happen to be in shop manuals everyday for the last 20 years and have found MANY mistakes over the years. Call the dealer and find out what the torque spec is if you believe the helms manual is correct. But to think i would do some backyard redneck shadetree repair you are most definately wrong.

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Nope, Not directed at you either. I put that in there for anyone who actually uses the search button in the future.
    Helm is correct, that is the dealer manual.