Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque specs????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So I'm in the process of putting a Detroit in my 14 bolt and I have a few torque questions. Basically I need the torque specs on all the bolts inside the diff. The bolts that hold the carrier together(I think it's like 12 or 14 bolts there),The bolts that hold the bearings in, the bolts that keep the holding pins in and the cover bolts. Also is there any easy way of taking the carrier apart without an impact wrench. I didn't want to bother my neighbor but if I'm going to damage anything I guess I'll have to.

Thanks In Advance(Or like Mike aka Blazen91 says TIA, sounds kinda queer to me:))J/K Mike

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I thought my books were in the back but they're not, if they're at home i'll post when i get there, i seems to remember them not being as high as you might think, like 80-90 for hte carrier and around 100 for the bearing caps, but dont take that as the gosple. I got my carrier apart fairly easily, i put it in the vise (smooth jaws) put a wrench on the bolts and rapped it with a deadblow, imact wrench at the most basic level.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The bolts that hold the ring gear and two piece carrier are torqued at 120 ft. lbs.
    The differential bearing caps are torqued at 135 ft. lbs.
    The differential bearing adjusting locks (holding pins) are torqued to 20 ft. lbs.
    The cover bolts are torqued at 30 ft. lbs.

I did a complete rebuild on a 14FF for BlazzinOr with a Detroit Locker installed.
    I am currently doing a complete rebuild for Blazn86, also with a Detroit Locker.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

That's exactly wat I needed, Thank You very much.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER