Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Splitter

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Mar 5, 2002.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about swappin out my four speed for an NV 4500 but that costs about $2600. I found this torque splitter that Advance Adapters makes that mounts in front of my four speed and gives me a 27% overdrive in every gear. I would have an 8-speed! The splitter costs $1400 but would require driveline and floor modification- it's 7 1/2" long. Thjink it's worth it? If I try hard enough I can justify spending about anything on the Blazer.
    Jeff

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What you are describing sounds like a Gear Vendors OD unit...but they bolt to the output of the x-fer case...Is this something new?

3. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

This isn't anything new, been around since 1975 according to Advance Adapter's literature. This bolts in front of the tranny so it also works for 4wd. It is called a Ranger Torque Splitter. They also make an underdrive unit which is 17%, while the overdrive is a 27% overdrive. How much is a Gear Vendors OD unit?
    Jeff

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

The plan for my blazer involves using the ranger splitter AND a 6-speed out of a new Duramax. Along with the diesel, I'm hoping to pull around 20 mpg on the highway, maybe more.

I also am planning to do the doubler with the 205 I've go in the truck now behind this massive drivetrain. I'll wind up with 5 shifters to pull and about 48 gear selections.

Guess I should update my sig.

Buddy

6. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

That is awesome, let me know how it goes.
    Jeff