Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque steer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Sep 15, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I saw this term in another thread about running only one shaft in a welded 14b. My question is this normal to get a bit of (torque steer that is) with a Detroit? I can can feel it whenI let off then get back on the gas especially on corners. Passenger side tire seems to kick in first. Just wondering if these symptoms are normal. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I highly doubt its torque steer. Generally torque steer is only a term used for front wheel drive cars with unequal lengh drive shafts.

Could you have torque related steering problems? Probably. I doubt its from your rear axle though. Most of the time, it seems to be related to bump steer.

Try a simple test. Find an empty parking lot. Accelerate hard, without holding onto the steering wheel. If the truck moves straight, and you see the steering wheel move, its steering related, not torque steer.

If you mash on the gas, and you start moving out of line, try the same, except slow on the gas (still with the hands off the wheel. ). If it does the same thing, no matter how quickly you give it gas, then you might have some binding issues with your brakes.

Although I have heard of drag racers claiming that their cars had a bias to move to one side vs the other. Maybe the way the gear is cut? *shrug*.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The detroit does have a tendancy to change up in corners and its most obvious when transitioning from full throttle to coasting. Might want to check your U-bolts and make sure they are tight, loose ones can make you change lanes under the same condition, especially with a detroit.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it seems it would be possible for a 14 bolt to torque steer, as they have unequal length axle shafts...sure sounds like a possibility to me..

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I have retorqued my U-bolts a few times since the swap. They are about as tight as I can get them. I really only notice it when coasting then accelerating in a corner. Just another by product of the Detroit then huh?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Torque steer is simply lateral movement (simulated steering) caused by an imbalance of torque from the driving wheels. It doesn't realy matter if it's FWD or RWD, remove an axleshaft from a welded 14bFF and I assure you that you will experience torqu steer from a RWD vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've heard of Detroits causing some torque steer when they lock and unlock, actually that's one of the reasons I went with a welded rear. I have heard that the problem is much worse with a manual tranny, and when you shift the Detroit can be a real bear to handle sometimes. That's all hearsay, but it was a good reason to not spend $300. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>