Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque Values

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by csnutrition, Feb 28, 2005.

1. csnutrition

csnutrition Registered Member

What are the torque values for the inner and outer spindle nut (76 Blazer)? Also, what are the torque values the rear spring U-bolt nuts? Is there a web site/document that contains torque specs?

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know that there is a "torque" for the inner spindle nut as it sets the bearing preload. The outer spindle nut is 205 ftlbs.

The rear ubolts should be around 100 ftlbs or so.

3. csnutrition

csnutrition Registered Member

Question concerning bearing preload. I was told by a local 4wd shop that the inner bearing should be tightened so that you can get about 1/4 to 1/2 free rotor turn. This is achieveable at the point the inner nut seats at very light pressure. Does this seem correct. The same local shop told me to torque the nut to 100ft-lbs. What do you think?

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have always just tightened the inner nut until the hub just begins to snag, then loosen it up about 1/4 turn until it spins free. But there is actually a torque spec for the inner nut. The gm service manual says to first tighten the nut to 50 ft lbs to seat the bearing. Then loosen the nut. Then re-tighten to 35 ft lbs, and then back off no more than 3/8 of a turn until hub spins free.
    -Harrison

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have heard of the everything from 70 to 110 ftlbs before for the outer nut. I have seen many left front wheel bearings need the bearing preload tightened because the nuts actually loosen on that side, due to the direction the wheel turns.

With the 205 ftlbs that does not seem to be an issue. You can use whatever but I belive that tighter is better.

6. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Heres the bearing procedure I use (warning its a real PITA) and it does requrie a dial indicator with a magnetic base.
    Tighten wheel bearings to seat them (about 50 ft lbs)
    install dial indicator so that it reads from the back of the hub ( its important that you stick it to the axle so if you wiggle the truck the reading won't be affected)
    Back the inner nut off about 1/8 of a turn and check for endplay you need at least .003 but no more than .008...adjust as needed
    Install and tighten the outer locknut and tighter is better IMO but recheck the endplay as tightening the outer nut usually changes the endplay(making it tighter)
    The endplay specs are the same for the rear wheel bearings in a corvette as they are on the drive wheel axle on a semi...ain't that strange
    George

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Is second the specs that 87BrnRsd said, but my gm manual calls for a minimum of 165 ft/lbs for the outer.