Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scuba Steve, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if the craftsman torque wrenchs are any good. I was looking at the microtork 3/8" with a range of 10-75ft/lbs, but the digitork looks good with a range of 5-80 ft/lbs. I was going to buy snap-on again but i dont want to spend the $240 that they want, but I know their stuff is good....craftsman I dont know. Please help.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have two craftsman TR's. One is the 5-80 and the other is the 20-250 digitorque. They work pretty well for me.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Whatever you get, keep in mind you get what you pay for when it comes to torque wrenches. You buy cheap, you get cheap quality. I like my S & K torque wrenches, micrometer type at home. At work, we have Snap On torque wrenches, which are decent, but I like the S & K brand more just going off of feel. They feel very consistent while torquing which the cheap ones usually don't.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As with most Craftsman stuff, their TQ wrenches are about middle-of-the-road in quality. Better than the $20 Pep Boys special, not as good as the Mac/Matco/Snap On/S-K stuff.

But IMHO, unless you're building an engine or setting up gears, or you're a professional mechanic, the $20 Pep Boys special WILL get the job done. The accuracy of a cheap TQ wrench is still better than anyone's "calibrated elbow"...