Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Wrench???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Jun 25, 2001.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I want to buy a torque wrench. Can I get by with a cheap one (i.e. one at Advance or Autozone for $50) or should I invest in an expensive one? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sears for cheap tools - good warranty.

Dave

BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

My friend, 400K10, might flame me for this (he's a diehard Snap-on man) but the Craftsman torque wrench for most applications should last a lifetime.

Ron

4. 400K10

400K10 Registered Member

craftsman torque wrenches arent guaranteed. here is the best tip your gonna get. if you need it for 1 or 2 jobs, borrow one. if you plan on working on engines, rears, etc. buy one. remember, you get what you pay for. you pay a little more for the snap on name, but you are also getting a better tool. wait untill you need a tourqe screwdriver..... ask k5ron.

5. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Get a good one. As 400k10 said you pay more for the snap-on name but its worth it. I use my snap-on torque wrench almost every day and it has held calibration for over 5 years without needing to be adjusted.
    Butch

<font color=blue>Experience is the sinking feeling you have made this mistake before</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've had bad luck with Snap-On T/W's. They don't seem to keep their calibration very well (we use a lot of them in Army Aviation). I have a Craftsman that's worked pretty good for me and was reasonably priced. Make sure that you spring for a click-type wrench, they're much more accurate.

7. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I'd go with just a craftsman not because of warranty but because of quality at a poor mans price. No torque wrench lasts forever and is supposed to be recalibrated once in a while but for the driveway its your best bet. Just my .02

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

We go through the Snap-On T/Ws too. It might be because of the strict standards we use when they're calibrated. I've got a couple different types of my own but have to admit I've never found a place to have them calibrated in the civilian sector. Treat them like they're made of glass and just get a new one after time or if a precise job comes up.

Smitty

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Look around on EBay - you can pick up Snap-On, Matco, Mac for the price of Craftsman or less. One Craftsman T/W is warrantied - the 1/2 drive beam bender type. I keep one around for emergencies and quick under the truck stuff, and they work pretty well, but they do shear off.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    How offten did you have it checked ?
    Do you remember where you had it checked ?
    TIA

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I wouldn't call Craftsmans tool poors man tools. First, they're high quality, and second, they're wayyy pricey b/c of their guranteed for life (on their hand tools). Wal-Mart tools are what you call Poors man tools.
    With that said, I bought the Craftsman 1/2" drive Torque wrench. The kind that you set at what lbs torque you want and it will click when you get there. Price is: $89.99!!!!!! You call that poors mans tool!!!???
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

12. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

I've gone through Craftsman and other torque wrenches. The secret to having one last is simple. Never continue to put torque on bolt past when wrench clicks. When it clicks release the tension. If you push further, it will be permanently damaged and not read correct torque again. Just my $.02. JT

13. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

We calibrate our t/w's once a year and any time one is dropped or rough handled. (calibration is a requirement is aviation). We have a service that comes out to the shop and checks our tools.
    Butch

<font color=blue>Experience is the sinking feeling you have made this mistake before</font color=blue>[​IMG]

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Boss, check out the price of the Snap-On and you'll understand... [​IMG] Those folks are VERY proud of their stuff. BTW, the Craftsman 1/2-inch is often on sale for $59.99. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If your just getting one for basic drivetrain stuff get the craftsman or one from Home Depot or Lowes.
    But if your gonna be torquing down heads and other serious engine stuff, then you will wont to spend the bucks and get a Snap-on.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

16. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

No offense, but I trust my Craftsman alot more than I do any Snap-On T/W.

17. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

in the ag shop all we use is snap-ons T/W one guy i had a craftsman then he had it cheack and it WAY off and the snap-ons wernt nearly off as much

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

18. 400K10

400K10 Registered Member

all the new craftsman stuff is garbage. most of it is made in china. tools are meant to last a lifetime. i am still young, 26 to be exact, and i plan to pass my tools to my son or son in law and then down to my granchildren in the far far future.if snap on is too high for you, try s-k tools, i use these alot and never had one break yet. i bought some craftsman when i just started getting into wrenching, i wish i would have saved a little more and went for the better stuff. pay more now and be happy later. besides, with gas prices so high now, who wants to run to sears every other day to return their junk. this is just my opinion, its not meant to put anyone elses tools down. i learned the hard way, maybe someone just getting into it will get something out of this. good luck and thanks!

19. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

See........... told Ya so!

Anyway, 400K10, How's Mike? Got rid of the '79 K5 today. Less junk 'round here now! Makes some room to get more junk!lol

Ron

20. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

See........... told Ya so!

Anyway, 400K10, How's Mike? Got rid of the '79 K5 today. Less junk 'round here now! Makes some room to get more junk!lol

Ron