Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torsion bar relocators

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by blasterD, Jun 17, 2003.

1. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Has anybody used these? http://realiftsusp.com/ They are torsion bar relocators so that you don't have to hang your torsion bar crossmember down low. It looks like you can get a lot of ground clearance on them.

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at this product for some time now........ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I just can't get over the fact that the pivot point now changes to a side to side instead of a twisting motion. But I'm still debating it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

It doesn't show a price. I emailed them though i hope it isn't one of those deals where if you have to ask you can't afford it.

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

everyone of the trucks they show that on already has a susp. lift and i know on a stock ifs you cant see the tbars anyway. I dont know about that kit adding lift but it would be a good thing to get once you have an IFS lift on the truck.

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

You would have to use it with some sort of suspension lift. It's just cool because you don't have to hang the torsion bar crossmember down so low. I wonder how capable an IFS rig could be with a 6" IFS lift in front, an Echobit shackle flip in the rear, and some relocators (maybe some sort of sway bar disconnect?). You would have to keep your tire size down around 35"-37" to limit breakage on the front end. It should be a pretty capable general purpose rig. I know SFA is the way to go for hard core strength but it would be interesting to see an IFS rig that worked well.

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I dont think the motion really changes that much. Since the torsion bar doesn't mount to the A-arm pivot, even the stock torsion bar moves up/down in addition to twisting.If the distance from the lower A-arm pivot to the torsion bar mounting point remained the same, the geometry would be nearly identical.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well therin lies the debate, the cross member side of the bars does not use a straight cut hex to allow for some movement of the bars within the keys. The question is how much movement is acceptable?

9. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it would be interesting to see an IFS rig that worked well.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, wouldn't that be nice. fact of the matter is, they don't. as fore those tbar relocators, i wouldn't get them. as mentined above, you add another pivot point, you add another join/weak spot/potential for breakage. besides, that movement would start side to side. tbars carry a lot of load, and instead of giving leighway forthat load to move, i'd rather have it work like its suppose to.

also mentioned, the up and down movement of the tbars. the keys there in the xmember weren't designed to allow for much movement, so, you're going to break something if it goes too far....tbar, tbar key, adjuster bolt, heck you could even bend the heck out of the xmember itself.

anyway, point is, those things aen't worth it.

btw, how many times have you gotten hung up on that lowered xmember or tbars? and if you have, then you shoulda been scraping on the lateral kicker bars that support the rear lower xmember of the lift.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you gave me a thought. I'm gonna disconnect the sway bar on my 2500 at a club event where there should be a ramp. My tires are as big as I can fit, actually if I go in the ditch backing out of my driveway the one rubs but thats alright. And I believe you need at least 4" of lift with the relocators.

11. 89K1500Chevy

hell my Sway bar has been off for a good time now and none of my tires rub anywhere on full flex. I think the ifs works well mabey not for Rock crawling but has anybody really tried to design one yet or try it out? I remeber reading on here some kinda new ulitmate CV halfshaft thats being used on Baja race trucks and in the military Its on here somewhere do a search for ulimate cv or something like that it was pretty cool even had some vid's of them in action. there's even no boots on these. I think my rig works pretty well for me and the stuff i do. Mostly mud trails/swamps/woods/trails/hill climbs not really any rocks but there is some cars. Do what you can with what you got if you dont like it sell it and buy something else... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats the thing, people make fun of it but no one has really really tried to make a good Chevy IFS. You may say something like "well thats stupid you shouldn't have to go changing all that stuff" but umm 57" ford conversions? shackle flips? Removing leaves? Obviouslly stock equipment is usually lacking. IFS is just a little farther behind in the off road department.

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

IFS is great for desert racing and going fast... If built right. It just plain sucks for rocks, it's weak, does not flex correctly if at all, and is way to complicated and expensive. Walker Evans already proved this with this thing:

[​IMG]

Unlimited

1. Jason Paule 22
    2. Mitch Guthrie 33
    3. Tracy Jordan 41
    4. Mike Shaffer 59
    5. Jon Bundrant 60
    6. Curt Hildebrand 62
    7. John Gillelend 82
    8. Jennifer Little 89
    9. Harrison Beene 98
    10. Shannon Campbell 103
    11. Ken Blume 115
    12. Terry Howe 117
    13. Adam Lunn 151
    14. Brandon Gillen 155
    15. Dustin Webster 162
    16. Joe Brown 184
    17. Joel McClure 187
    18. Jan Nilsen 190
    19. Nate Williams 218
    20. Walker Evans 219

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think for myself an IFS lift on my 2500 would work out fine. Maybe with the tbar relocators. I don't crawl just the rare trail and mudding.

15. 89K1500Chevy

That looks pretty badass just give it a few years with more engineering and whatnot might someday work out. If you could control the way the arms flex it would really make a difference and with rearsteering.

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Go over to Off-road.com and search for superlifted94 in the chevy forums. He was a punk kid who was banned several times under many different names for being a jackass. He had no mechanical knowledge at all. He posted some questions about that product over there and got nothing but negative responses, and now he sells the damn things.
    I removed the swaybar on my 87 toy with IFS, and it made a huge difference. The truck rode MUCH smoother. Cornering was the same, and it may have had a bit more flex, but it was still an independent front end.

17. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah yeah good 'ol swamper... I miss that fella /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

ahh, he was a charmer...real quick and smart-like too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. kingturdherder

kingturdherder Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I just read all the posts on this subject, well I can give the real poop on the reallift relocators as I have been running them on my o1 xcab for over 14k miles. This truck yes is my daily driver but it is or was my trail rig also. I lifted this truck with a 6" lift at 12k miles. as I was tired of smashing my rocker panels. This truck may not be a rock crawler but it has been to Chiva falls down here in the Rincon Mountains. People have truly under rated IFS capabilities, I do agree that a straight axle truck can be built to endure more abuse but then again the last time I was out there was a blazer broken and a ford pickup both the drivers were no where in sight as it was a several mile hike out, and here I was in an xcab IFS still going and I made it back out. Not braging or saying that IFS is better as I'm just finishing a year long project with an 85 short bed 2x4 turned into a 4x4 you will all see that bad sob soon. Fellas straight axles have been around for ever not sure but think 1920's it's no wonder that so many people have learned to build them to with stand incredible amounts of abuse. Ifs can be built to take what you throw at it, just takes a bit more imagination and a little different driving style. I've blown out cv's that was a lesson learned on keeping the front half shafts close to stock angle and not cranking the torsion bars to fit 35" muds under the fenders. I have had my truck hung up on the drop down bracket for the torsion bars, this is why I tried the realift relocators. Yes I still high center at times but I keep rolling as the plow that use to be the lowest thing on my tuck no longer hangs me up. My xcab will never be a comp. rock crawler but it is a 4x4 that can and has been in some narly places. When I dealt with the guy that owns Realift I found him to be pleasant fella and he gave me a good price on the relocators as I drove up to see him without even giving notice. Just thought I would try and give some feed back from someone who owns both new and old GM sheet metal. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i agree..i used to think ifs was crap becuase of what i HEARD..but i didnt really know how it worked..now that i have studied a few ifs trucks and know about how they work, i dont see what the big thing is, true they are not as strong as a SFA..but if you do mudding and trails and stuff with not to big of rocks ect..seems liek it would work just fine..at lesast for what i do. thats why chances are when i sell the k-10 im going for an 88-up rig..preferably a shortbox reg. cab. i want the smoother ride , and plus i want a slightly newer truck, and defenetly FI...yea i could still get a 87..but..i have a feeling i will be happy with an ifs truck...but thats defentaly not to say that ill never have another SFA truck...they are still the best bar none for offroading...just i rather have an ifs since i use my play rig as my DD to. ya cant have everything..so i gatta try one thing at a time..