Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torsion bar removal, how?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 3, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I simply don't know what I'm doing with a Torsion bar suspension. So what should I do to remove these things? I cut one of them now, took so long I guess I might as well do it the right way. I removed the bolts to let pressure off then I have no idea what to do. Should I unbolt the torsion bar X-member and try to slide them back out of the control arms? This is on my 85 S10.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think there is an adjuster at the crossmember. If you let the tire droop to maximum and release the tension you should be able to get them out. You might need to remove that crossmember first though.

I had an 89 S-dime about 10 years ago. had to replace the crossmember mounts and at one time cranked my bars so i could clear 31's...:crazy:

Rene

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Be Careful

Heres a link over on FullSizeChevy, should be similar in principle Id thinkTorsion Bar Bible

Id be careful, Ive heard some stories, torsion bars arent anything to be careless around..

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh, the one I cut through didn't spring at all(I had it chained and sayed out of any path it may take just in case). It drooped down under its own weight. With the bolts for the adjusters removed it seemed to almost completely remove the spring force. I still won't be careless about it, springs aren't anything to mess with.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

two big tools needed after bolt is loosened for tension. tool 1 is BFH and tool 2 is BIG long punch. thay rust in there pockets. need to drive them out. some come out easy to the front and some come out easy to the rear. some need tool 3 HEAT to go along with tools 1 and 2. good luck.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah, I got all the tension off(removed the bolt retainer with a gear puller), but they are just not budging. Hit them with a little PB Blaster and let them sit, I'll take a shot in the morning.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Heres the correct way to do it. Theres a special tool, but I didnt have one so I took a big C clamp, one that had the flat swivel piece off of it so it was just a ball end. Then go under the truck, in the torsion key you can see an indent, put the ball end of the c clamp in the key and the other end around the crossmember and tighten up the key, putting tenion on it, then take the piece that is in the crossmember out (the one the bolt screws through) and then take the pressure off the key. The keys should fall down and you should slide the t bar out (and if it wont come like you said, hit it harder).