Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tortilla Man picks up Vehicle #6!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nothing fancy, but it IS a Chebby.....

I bought my dad's old 4WD S-10 as my winter beater car, since he just bought a new Colorado....no doubt as a result of the "Employee Discount" promotion that's going on.

It's an early 90's (maybe a 1991?) V6, 5-speed manual, and it's green. That's about the extent of my knowledge of S10s!! :D

It DOES have a 600W stereo and subwoofers in a tall custom wedgebox behind the bench seat. Unfortunately what that means is that the seat is ALL the way forward and it's a little "squished" trying to drive like that. I might try to replace the bench with 2 buckets and move the subs into a center console...the system actually rocks pretty hard :thumb: My dad is pretty cool for an old fart.

Anyone know how hard it is to adjust the takeup on the clutch? The engagement point is REALLY high (like almost 1/2" from the very top) and I would like to have it much closer to the floor if possible. If it were an old CRX I'd know right where to find the adjuster on the clutch cable, but I haven't even popped the hood yet to look around.

I'll post pics later if anyone is interested.....

:usaflag:

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking the clutch is hydro on that truck bro.....

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the clutch is hydro and is not adjustable.
    is it the 4.3 or the 2.8?

i miss my s10 :(

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I thought 90's were all 4.3. I had a 83 with 2.8 and computer controlled carb. What a DOG!!! Had 4.10 gears and 30" tires. That thing couldnt get out of its own way. The P.O.S. 5 speed finally went out about the time the CV joints were going and had it towed away by some charity organization.

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I like s-10's

I've been thinking about a trail truck using one. Too many projects right now though. :doah:

Post some pics, I'd like to see it :D

6. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

If you don't convert it to solid axles dont off road it. also a 2in body lift is your friend if you need to work on a tranny or engine.

and you WILL have to work on the pos t-5 tranny

owned 1987 t-10 2.8L , t-5 (3 of them), 4.11, 30 inch tires. mpg=13 same as my v10

same truck: with 3.4L camaro engine, t5, 4.11, 31's mpg=19

# of ball jounts changed 8
    # of idler arms changed 7

still refuse to get another s10 or ifs 4x4

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If the clutch is hydro and the pedal is really high, is that an indication that I'm at the end of the clutch life?? (ie Take-up is low at full thickness, and is high as the clutch disk wears thin?)

I don't know much more about the truck than what I already told you guys...my dad says he routinely gets over 20mpg on the highway with it (which is a HUGE number compared to everything else I own!). He just replaced the front struts and rear shocks and put two new front fenders on it to replace the ones that were consumed by rust.

It's not a bad looking truck overall....it has rust across the front of the hood, and the bumpers look a bit sketchy....the lower part of the doors have rust too. Typical GM clearcoat issues on the roof (ie. None...just dull green paint) but it has a cap on it, and a drop-in bedliner.

No plans to "soup it up" really.....just drive it and save my other junk from the salted roads. Even just a single winter has really done a number on Stomper's underside.....lots of surface rust that I need to go back and clean up and re-paint. I suppose if I ever get the 454 built for the 'Burb....I'll have a healthy 350SBC I could play with.... :thinking:

8. steve_kibbe

The only thing I was going to use was the frame and body :D

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think its the oppisite for a hydro clutch if its closer to the floor its wearing out. I'm looking for a ext cab S10 2wheel drive with a 4.3 as my dd

10. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

engagemet at the top on a s10 usually means there is air in the system

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Basically either the actual clutch disk is worn or theres air entering the system. I have seen both the clutch master and slaves cause this issue. If you look up under the dash you can see the clutch pedal rod going into the clutch master. You will most likely see some wetness there, or on the slave piston down at the bellhousing.

12. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

to my knowlage if it has the throwout bearing style slave cyl they are not adjustable. if it has the slave cyl outside the bell houseing you can adjust the rod inside, or may have to buy an adjustable rod. but it only adusts the slack in the pedal and will probably make it grab even farther out. i have only messed with one and sold the truck b4 it needed adjusted again. this probably dont help much. also some s10's (t10 is the actualy 4x4 designation)
    came with the t-10 transmission but i have only seen them in long beds with a tow package.

balzer

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg, I don't think you looked at my hydro clutch conversion on my k5 at blazerfest.
    The clutch master cylinder I have (89 1 ton chevy) has a long pushrod with a hole in the end that is fixed and non adjustable. That would mean it would bolt up to the pedal in one spot and thats what you get.
    I modified it by cutting the end of that pushrod off, and using a die to thread the end, then i could use a 1/4-28 threaded rod end to adjust the pedal height since i didn't like the pedal way up like you are describing..
    My adjustment got the clutch pedal height about even with the brake pedal. :thumb:
    I'm sure your s-10 isn't exactly the same but you get the idea how to make it adjustable.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I thinkYou need one of these
    [​IMG]
    Even the burnt ones will work in a pinch.
    :D

Hi Greg! :p:

15. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

If you'll come get it i'll give you a s-10 blazer frame and body...otherwise it gets my left over 448lug and 14sf....

come on man i've scrapped more cars than that in the last year....

16. steve_kibbe

sent you a pm gambit420s