Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toshiba vers Hitachi 57" Widescreen TV's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Toshiba vers Hitachi 57\" Widescreen TV\'s

So I've decided on a 57" widescreen TV as the next thing too get. I've shopped around, looked at a few, and now it's down to between a Toshiba or a Hitachi. It's only a $50.00 difference between the 2. Both have a great picture. The store (REX's) is offering a free 2 year extended in house (My house that is) extended warrenty on both. Witch name brand would you go with, and why ?? This is the Hitachi I'm consittering

2. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

Re: Toshiba vers Hitachi 57\" Widescreen TV\'s

TOSHIBA IS WAY BETTER-I have a friend that owns a home theater store and he recommends toshiba hands down-he says in 13 years of biz he has had 3 come back to him for repair-i had recently bought a 57" sony widescreen on my best buy cc and it sucked-so we returned it-i am currently saving to by the toshiba thru my friends store to get a discount

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the Toshiba alot, but the Hitachi is a nice set too. Both have great picture.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

My hitachi is fawked up right now and it's going to cost about 250 to fix it, I think it got messed up during the last move, so keep in mind they are spendy to fix and to go without it for a couple days is hell....It's not like you can go back to a smaller set after you have a big screen... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My hitachi is fawked up right now and it's going to cost about 250 to fix it, I think it got messed up during the last move, so keep in mind they are spendy to fix and to go without it for a couple days is hell....It's not like you can go back to a smaller set after you have a big screen... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]So what was wrong with your TV ??? How would you rate the Hitachi's piture quality ?? How long have you had it ?? Anyother problems with it ??

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my dad has a 51" sony and its picture is fawkin beautiful. Cost him $1599 last x-mas at CC. The ONLY downside of it is that it doesn't do native 720p... it reduces 720p signals to 480p. Not that big a deal really, it still does 1080i and DVDs on it at 480 look awesome.

I'm saving my pennies for a big screen too. After I sell my audiophile speakers/amps, and I get wedding gifts, I oughta have enough $ for the big tube... thats gonna rock. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The pic quality was thew best out of all the TVs we looked at, I won't know whats wrong with it til tomorrow, but it's only 3 years old so I'm kinda pissed, It's always been a little quirky like all the other apliances we own, It has a bad habit of just turning itself on whenever it wants to, but it hasn't done that since we moved, we must have left that gremlin behind...If your gonna get a 57" you may want to go ahead and get the 61" instead... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifOur neighbor has a 57 and the wife said we could get a bigscreen if it was bigger than his... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifSo we did and just those 4" dwarfed his TV... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd like too get bigger then a 57", but the $$$ is a issue. I'm looking in the "up to" 2 grand price range. I might consitter a refurbished widescreen TV. I found a site that has a refurbished 65" widescreen Toshiba for just under $1,600.00 but the shipping is another $250.00 . I'm just not sure about the refurbished thing. But they do offer a 4 year extended warrenty for another $200.00 , so it's really tempting. refurbished 65" Toshiba Or this one Or even this one

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

The reason not to go to big on a big screen is that they use the SAME parts internally. So basically, the bigger the screen, the less clarity and focus due to the projectors being adjusted to accomodate the larger screen. An example would
    be to take a flashlight and shine it against a wall. The further you get from the wall, the less strength and clarity you get. Its the same with big screens. The Toshiba and Mitsubishi are close in quality, with features better and worse on each side. Sony's get thumbs down. Do some more research and you'll get your answer.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The sonys definately sucked as far as picture... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, I'm not even consittering a Sony. More then likely, I'll get a Toshiba.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dunno... maybe its just this years models of Sonys that suck. Dad's Sony definitely doesn't.

anyway, I'm thinking next x-mas will be the time to buy a big screen HDTV... prices really haven't come down much at all in the last year. This years 51" sony which is (as far as I know) pretty much exactly like my dads tends to be between $1699 and $1799 at CC... dad paid $1599. I remember reading some market research a year or so ago that said next x-mas is going to be the sweet spot for prices on projection sets. I dunno... all I know is watching DVDs on a big screen kicks azz. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So what's everybody's thought on refurbished widescreen tv's ???

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

all electronics have a life span. A new engine last longer than a rebuilt engine.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    all electronics have a life span. A new engine last longer than a rebuilt engine.

[/ QUOTE ]This is true, but for the $$$ I'm still thinking hard about it. Kimd of hard not too consitter it when I can get a $4,000.00 tv for $1,500.00 with a 4 year warrenty. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I have the 57" toshiba and love it to death. I just wish I had digital cable for football season only. But run a s-cable or a DVD player w/ a componenet cable and you have some serious picture quality. I went from RCA's to S-cable and picture quality is ten times better. I don't know about the Hitachi but I will definitely recomend the Toshiba. Just my .02

17. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

i bought a 55 inch Mitsubishi and my friend bought a 57 inch Hitachi (always has to outdo me /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) and one thing I really like about his set, is that it has what they call "magic focus" which is auto convergience. Needles to say, mine doesnt have that nifty feature. I spoke to a tech the other day that came out and cleaned my set and re-converged it (its part of my extended warranty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and we were talking about the magic focus. He told me that Hitachi is the only company that the auto convergience actually works. Just something to think about...sorry this was so long. good luck in your purchase and just remember, it wont look as good at home as it did in the store.

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats what fawked up on mine the magic focus won't auto converge.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

BTW what would it have cost to have the convergance done without the warrenty???

20. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

not sure...I got a 4 year extended warranty when I bought the set. I usually converge it myself, but since I get one free cleaning and convergence a year I figured i'd go ahead and use it.

With the magic focus out, does your set still work?