Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tossed on how high to make my truck.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grey88, Dec 1, 2006.

1. grey88

grey88 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey, i got an 88 and it currently has a 2 in lift with 265/75/r16's on it and i obviously want bigger tires. thats what i bought the truck with, but i wanna run 38.5/15/15's and was tossed on weather or not to go with a 6 in lift or an 8in. i was wondering which one would be more practical and how much stuff would i have to do with drive shafts. i'm asuming i'm gonna have to put in a t-case drop, correct? what should i do with the steering also and how long of brake line extensions should i use? if theres anything else i'm missin let me know and what i should do with everything i'm not sure on. i also wanna run a dana 60 up front and a 14bff in the rear with a disc brake conversion does this all sounds like a good idea need some feed back thanks alot.

adam

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

well if you dont mind hacking up your fenders some you could do it with a 6 inch lift

where you at in Iowa?

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

With 38's youll at least need the 14ff in the rear. A 60 front would be sweet too. I would recommend a 6" lift and maybe some fender trimming. Lower is better (less top heavy and better flex). All applications are different. 6" of lift may require some driveshaft modification (lengthening, cv joints, etc), you could also possibly have to lower the t-case, and you may also need to add some shims to the rear. Guessing from your username, you have an 88 truck...so all you have to do to lower the t-case is support the skid plate with a jack, take out the 4 bolts that hold it to the crossmember or frame, and flip the round metal spacers to the other side of the frame. You can order extended brake lines from www.offroaddesign.com You will also need to purchase a drop steering arm.

Anyways, go with 6" not 8". Rides better, flexes better, and less likely that you will end up upside down.:wink1:
    -Harrison

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Lower it and lay frame:pimp: .

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

skip the drop steering arm, and go crossover.

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

How about you start by telling us what you want to DO with your truck?

7. grey88

mainly daily drivin but the occasional offroad adventure and would like to do more but with the way it is i dont really trust it, i dont know whats under it and i dont like knowin so i dont push it as much as i'd like. and yes i'm from iowa. i'm gettin alot of great advice guys thanks alot i apreciate it

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

4" lift, lots of fender trimming.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

leave the 2" and cut fenders. Here is old brown with 2" and 38s. No inner fenders and hacked fenders. Only decent pic I have i think
    [​IMG]

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i say 4" and 38s....
    4" front springs and a 1" zero rate
    4.5" shackle flip in the rear

crossover steering or hydro on a 60..
    5.13 gears, welded rear and detroit front

11. grey88

so would a 6in lift w/38.5-15-15's be a good mix for mudding and occasionaly some light rock crawling?

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 6" will ride nicer then a 8". I know I have run both. You will probably need to trim your fenders. nothing a set of bushwacker fender flares won't cover. Get a raised steering arm and a dropped pitman arm. with a 6" lift you should be ok with the stock driveshafts. I was. But every truck is different. I lowered my transfercase crossmember, but then put it back to stock. The front shaft was at a bad angle after the drop.

13. grey88

ok so i dont have to drop the transfercase? what the ORD hydro assist hydrolic steering system.