Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

total cosat of a 4 link system w/ coil-overs

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by muddysub, Dec 25, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok i wanna build a 4 link system with big ass coilovers for the front of my suburban. the fabrication work isnt a problem, but i was just wondering if any of you guys could give m a ball park number on a final cost...

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    big ass coilovers

[/ QUOTE ]
    did a SAS on a 94 2500 w/ some king 3", 12" travel, duel rates and the shocks alone were almost $1k---each. for an idea.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

well figure it this way
    coilover: $1200
    heims: $700 for the good ones, cause your going to need a lot of em
    DOM tubing: $300 at least for the good [darn].
    Misc. brackets and bolts:$200

I bet somewhere around $3000 when your said and done, but it will work damn good if you do it right.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

how about a 1/4 eliptic set up on a burb....different at least /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For my rear 4 link using RE joints it's been around $1600 in shocks and the joints and tubing.

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Anyone got any links to 1/4 elip setups? Ive heard alot about these but dont know what it is.

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

My very BASIC triangulated 4-link was around $1000 and thats with junkyard aerostar coils. Remember, little stuff adds up FAST...Just brackets, grade 8 hardware, and paint was close to 200 bucks....

Good luck though, just start buying everything now and dont start until you have everything you will need....

Rob

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone got any links to 1/4 elip setups? Ive heard alot about these but dont know what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]no link... but a pic

Marv

9. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Okay- we fabbed our own four link.
    Piece of advice- go overkill. Get good thick links. We've bent some and have gone thicker

Coil Overs- you don;t need more than 2-1/2"-16" travel. We have the Kings 2-1/2" 16" and they are plenty for our environment. The 3" will be a waste of money only because you will never fully use what they are meant for.

Heims- spend the extra cash for good quality heims. WE went with the 1" heim- 1-1/4" shank. We use the ones from Radial Bearing- teflon lined. Happy with them . You're looking at $55.00-$60.0 a piece. If you're going front and rear 4 link- that's 16 heims plus a couple of spares

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

$2500 to $3K for a rear, I know my K5 and my bro's buggy suspensions have about $1K worth of tubing and ends, roughly $1300 in shocks and springs and the rest gets taken up pretty quick in laser cut bracketry, heim spacers, limit straps, 3/4" gr8 hardware, etc.
    With a front, it's highly variable but you have to consider the steering linkage and more labor to design it.
    Concur on the 2.5" shocks, any thing more is a waste unless you're going seriously fast for a long time and a 2" coilover could be a problem with spring availability for a heavy truck.

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hmmmm... ive been thinking about keeping my suburban a little simpler than that now. im leaning towards the 52" leaf springs on the front.