Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Total loss/Salvaged vehicle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Diesel Z57, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Diesel Z57

Diesel Z57 Registered Member

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, hope things are going good for you. I've just run into a problem. A couple months ago I got hit on the side by a GMC. The resulting dent covered my right front fender and the right door... it's large, but really, it's nothing serious, I've been driving the vehicle since. So, I went to the other guy's insurance company so they could inspect it, and figure out what to do. It was consequently written off as a total loss, which I thought was BS, but since I didn't know what to do, I just took the check. Now I have to register it as "salvaged", which is crap, because the only thing wrong with the Blazer is that dent spanning the fender and the door. True, it's deep, but I can easily get another fender and door to replace those two. Anyone know of anything I can do, someone I can talk to about this? Any help would be appreciated.

The Blazer is a 1984 K5 with the Silverado package (practically ALL 80s Blazers are) and it's got the 6.2L Diesel.

-Donn

2. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Donn,
    I looked up your bio and your in CA, unfortunately for you. Here's the deal in CA once a VIN is inputed into their database as salvaged, it will ALWAYS come up as salvaged, even if you got it cleared through another state. In AZ (this was true last year, as far as I know, I don't know about now) you could clean a title by showing reciepts for the proper repair/parts and having it inspected.
    Heres' my advice. What are your intentions for the rig? Are you going to sell it? If you do, here's what you have to consider, it's usually harder to sell a salvaged vehicle (before repair pictures help) and you usually get about 20% less of market value. The more expensive the vehicle the larger the percentage, in your case, on an '84, the loss is not that great. If you're not going to sell it, and you know that the damage was not that severe, then the salvage title is only a pice of paper. BTW consider yourself lucky that you got a check AND were able to keep the rig, usually they cut you a check and they keep the rig, which is then sold at acution, which would most likely end up back on the road considering the damage.
    Another thing, don't right off their analysis as "BS" they're pretty good at access the damage and probably see more than you do, also do you know how expensive body work is? Check it out. Is your frame straight? That's a ton of cash right there, and since your rig isn't brand-spanking new it's better business sense to salvage it.
    Sorry, I don't have any better suggestions.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would try checking with your insurance, and/or your local DMV (Department of motor vehicles), and see what they have to say. Most insurance companies will say that a vehicle (especially older) is totaled after x-amount of money, basically cost too much to fix in their eyes. And why do you have to register it as salvaged? Does everything seem to work, drive straight, electrical, lights, etc.? Would you be able to get it inspected as is? I would really try to question that. Good luck. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. Diesel Z57

Diesel Z57 Registered Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response... the vehicle has had no problems that I'm aware of, the dent did not affect anything except the door, and it's really mostly cosmetic, because the door still opens and the window rolls down. Also, the part of the front fender that had been hit was after the parking light. It drives the same as it did before. I realize that repairs are expensive, I had an estimate done, and I wish now that I could have just said that I don't want to get it painted yet, because that's really where the money is going on this type of repair. I'd have been really happy with a used fender and a used door, because the whole Blazer needs a repaint, which I had been planning on doing soon, anyway.

Then again, I'm not planning on selling it (I like it too much), so you're right, a salvage certificate is just a piece of paper, but I guess it just makes it sound like it was a horrific wreck, which it really wasn't. I plan on taking pictures, just in case I need to sell it, though, so then the other party will know that there isn't a problem. I'm actually going to call the DMV right now to see what they say.