Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Total newbie

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by toejam, Sep 27, 2001.

1. toejam

toejam Newbie

I was lucky enough to inherit a 72 CST Blazer from my grandfather. I have been reading some of the posts here and I thought maybe I could get a little feedback.

Here's its status: Except for a 38 gallon gas tank, as far as I know it is 100% stock. I am the second owner; my grandfather was the original owner. The top has never been off, it has 95K miles on it and hasn't been driven off road in probably 20 years and hasn't gone over 60mph in 15 (except for yesterday, when I got it). Heck, it even has white walls on it.

What I'd like to know is this: what's the first step to make this thing off-road worthy? Wheels and tires (its current tires are about 15-year-old Rocky Mountains)? I don't want to do anything major, but would like to be able to handle some off the off-road trails in the mountains to my west.

Any feedback on this (or other newbie advice)? Thanks.

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Toe
    You can spend a lot of dough and not increase the utility a great deal. Assuming you want to drive it during the week and take it out on the weekends, I wouldn't do much more at first than put new tires, shocks and brakes on it. Look at the ball joints and the u-joints, too. If you've got granddad's cherry old blazer, I just wouldn't fool with it too much, a CST no less. You can, after you get it roadworthy, consider a mild lift and tunes. What kind of shape is the body in? What engine and tranny do you have?
    Congratulations and good luck
    JB

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you lucky bas... i mean congratulations :-) glad to have you on board. wow!!, second owner 90k miles. you may not want to do much with that thing off road. it might be worth more if you keep it stock looking. go with what JungleBoy said, begin with the brakes, suspension, and some tires. if you want to go off road, really off road get a second one.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis</a>

4. toejam

toejam Newbie

It's a 350.

Thanks for the info.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I agree with Jungleboy and ARQ. Do the safety-related things first (brakes, lights, etc.), then check the wear items (U-joints, belts, hoses). Flush the coolant and replace. If you don't know when the oil and filter were changed last, change 'em. If the tires still have tread on them, I'd not worry too much about them unless they're showing signs of cracking or unless they're loosing a lot of air quickly.

6. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

What an awesome deal! I agree with the others, tires will make a world of difference in off road ability. You can have all the lift you want, but if you've got street tires or bald tires, you aren't going very far. Have fun, and welcome to the obsession!
    Lane

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

As I've learned from the school of hard knocks if it hasn't been drivin regularly or maintained in some time, replace your u-joints they are cheap, mine went out on my the other day I was just lucky it was when I was doing 20mph and not 65 on the highway with a truck full of people.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

8. toejam

toejam Newbie

Again, thanks for the help.

The truck has had routine maintenence over the years, and I just had a mechanic go over it and fixed what he recommended. It got a new air filter, new alt. belt, brakes, and some other minor fixes. I'll check the u-joints.

I'm going to look for some new wheels and tires, and I'm sure I'll be writing back with other issues. (I got some infor off the "wheels and rubber" post).