Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Total parts needed for lift ......

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stoopalini, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hello!

I am planning a project here in the next month or so, and wanted your opinion on what I need to get. There is nothing I hate more tham thinking I have all the parts, then in the middle of a project, having to order more.

I have an '84 K5 with a stock suspension. I am getting ready to swap out the 10 bolt rear for a 3/4 ton 14 bolt. When I do this, I want to add a 2 1/2" lift.

With my limited knowledge, I have come to the conclusion that I will need:

Shackle Flip Kit - P/N#: GU38012 - 2 1/2"
    Tuff Country Front Kits only - GM 2" Kit

<font color=blue>Although I do not need them, I plan to get:</font color=blue>
    Heavy Duty Font Shackles - P/N#: GU37011
    Swaybar Correction/Disconnect Kit - P/N#: GU37001

<font color=blue>Other things I will need, but do not know if you sell:</font color=blue>
    New U-Bolts to accomidate the 3/4 Ton rear end
    4 new shocks to accomidate the 2 1/2" lift
    1310-1350 U-Joint to accomidate the 3/4 ton rear end

Is there anything else I will need to complete this project?

When I am done, I should have a 3/4 Ton 14 Bolt rear, 2 1/2" lift in the rear, 2" lift on the front, front extended shackles, and the sway bar disconnect.

Will the truck sit level with the 2 1/2" flip on the rear and only 2" Lift Springs on the front? or will the saggy-but "feature" of the K5 make up the difference here?

With only a 2 1/2" lift, are there any other modifications I will need to do?

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate any info you can offer,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Stoop, you're right on track, but a couple of things to look at:
    1) what are you doing about the front lug pattern? Are you swapping the 6 to 8 lug? Do the gear ratios match? You may want a brake proportioning valve in the rear line since the 14FF has big brakes compared to the 10 bolt rear.

2) you'll need a steering box brace at some point in time. You can get the thing rolling with your current plan and add it later easily since it just bolts in, but you will need to get one at some point in the future.

3) you may need to look into brakelines, I know Jim Allen used a longer rubber line that he sourced at NAPA for his 2.5" lift, but I can't remember the part #. Maybe someone else here can remember it?

I think your combo is going to be fine for ride height, it's hard to be sure since so much depends on your springs, but you're going the right direction for sure.

About the only thing you have listed that we don't have is the odd-cross ujoint, but I know that's also a napa part, I used one for a while and it worked fine. You may want to replace swaybar bushings when you do the disconnect, so keep that in mind also. Otherwise you should be set with what you've listed.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply Stephen!

For the front, I plan to leave the 10 bolt 6 lug in there until I get a 3/4 ton front (Dana 44 possibly?)
    I just won't engage the 4 Wheel Drive until I swap out the front.
    I might be able to swing both axles at once, but I've a feeling that my budget is gonna stop me [​IMG]

I was thinking about the extended brake lines too, but didn't know if they were needed for a 2 1/2" lift. I am also planning to put some revolver shackles on the rear to increase articulation, so I might as well extend the brake lines when I install the lift.

This brings me to my next question: What kind of shocks do you recommend for a 2 1/2" lift that will have Revolver Shackles installed? I'm thinking that a standard 2 1/2" lift shock won't extend enough to accomidate the extra droop added from a revolver shackle ........... what do you think?

Thanks again,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The part number for the NAPA brakes lines is 38872. These are about 4 inches longer than stock. I think they're less than $20 each. The hole in the caliper end is too small to fit 3/4-ton calipers but they're supposed to fit 1/2-ton calipers just fine.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You may be able to scrounge the 8 lug conversion parts somewhere and just put them on the 10 bolt in stead of swapping a complete axle.
    I'd get the suspension on it and measure it up for shocks, that way you get the right stuff. You will probably need to remount the rears to get them long enough to work with the revolvers. Just measure it up at full droop, at ride height, and twisted and you should be able to get some shocks that will work.
    thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

6. Something else to get, the plates that go on top of the
    springs that the u-bolts go through. You need to get
    some off a 1 or 3/4 ton that has the larger u-bolts.
    You also need the straps or u-bolts for the larger u-joint
    that bolts to the 14 bolt, if they didn't come with it.