Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

total winch newb here with a 8274 (yes i read billavista's tech article)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Aug 9, 2005.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

This is the first winch i've ever owned so i know nothing about them. One thing is lubrication... do these things use gear oil? if so how much and what viscosity and what do i use to reseal the gearbox and other holes so fluid won't leak out, billaviasta used grease on his ball bearings but i was wondering if it is used anywhere else like the brake pawl or the opposite end of the drum. Next is between the brake discs there are ball bearings and on each side of them are what warn is calling "friction material" they are little cork disc things, billavista makes no mention of them and they are not in any of his pics i was just wondering if they were necessary, and if i needed to order more since mine pretty much crumbled in my hand. That's all i've got so far i'm going to pick up a gear puller tomorrow to finish yanking off the outer brake disc (i could only knock it out far enough to see that i missing quite a few ball bearings and that the friction material stuff was crumbling). I'm sure i will have many more questions, thanks.

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

i have it totally disassembled now and i'm waiting for my replacement parts i ordered to come in and i'll finish cleaning and painting it tomorrow. i went back and scanned the tech write up one more time and at the very bottom it does tell you that it's lubed with 6oz of non-detergent 30wt motor oil but i still don't know what he used to seal everything, i guess just regular rtv silicone or what? anyone have any input? thanks.