Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

totalled teh blazer today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 22, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, spun off the interstate (I-10) and jacknifed my trailer into the truck and off into the treeline we flew. Just glad to be alive at this point, a bit of a unstable load and trailer sway slammed me. Had a 86 fullsize bronco on the dual axle trailer behind me and at one point on the interstate you could see 8 different tire rubber marks.... damaged the rear and front frame, crunched the rear pass quater panel and light, front fender and frame bent, rear axle displaced and spring packs twisted broken class V hitch and u shapped 2" reciever, bent trailer frame and fawked the driveline on the bronco as well.....just looking for a straight body again and swap the driveline over, truck would make a good rock rig as of now but no use for it down here besides for a trail rig and just dont have the money or time for now.... Just glad to be alive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good thing you're here typing with us.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

yeah, no kidding... sucks that your blazer got wrecked but glad you made it out ok!

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

OMG! Glad to have you with us still... my sympathy goes out to your truck though! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

-Dan

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i got word earlier that wakeboarder (brett) also totalled his blazer when his trailer came loose from his tow rig, we were supposed to meet in disney this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i got word earlier that wakeboarder (brett) also totalled his blazer when his trailer came loose from his tow rig, we were supposed to meet in disney this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes... how would you avoid something like this??? I might be trailering around my blazer starting this Xmas... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn dude. Glad to hear your alright. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifHoly sh!t that sucks. Glad you're ok. Too bad about the Blazer, but no big loss on the Furd... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn, I think I'll stick to driving my truck to and from the trails... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I just finished reading Brett's post about his Blazer a minute ago, then come here and find this one. Talk about a freaky coincedence!

Rene

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

glad to hear you're ok, sucks about the trucks, but they can be replaced.

11. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I hope you got some pics. Those are always nice to look at a few years down the road.

Blame it on the Bronco. Its bad luck rubbed off on your Blazer. I always keep at least a 5 car distance from any ford /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Damn Dude, glad to hear your OK. PM me if you need anything.

Corey

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yikes... how would you avoid something like this???

[/ QUOTE ]

By not using a 100" wheelbase vehicle as a tow rig...that's how you avoid stuff like this.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I know how it feels...mine has been in three crashes and is already on another frame because one was bent.

Good luck with your swap.

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: totalled the blazer today

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By not using a 100" wheelbase vehicle as a tow rig...that's how you avoid stuff like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more, Was only planning on a 15mile emergency tow, also not having straps over the roof of the bronco didn't help as it had no sway bars and its weight helped with the trailer sway, good thing it was secured by the axles to the trailer as it could have been much, much worst, I've made quite a few lengthy heavier tows with the blazer, but this one was spare of the moment on a not so familiar trailer to me and a unbalanced load.

Long wheelbase, diesel trucks are around for a reason.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, it's just a shame man. I totally know how you feel. Luckily I had a garage to do my frame swap in. No power tools, I did it all by hand. it was a total pain in the ass, but well worth it as now I can enjoy my truck. It just keeps getting better, just keep working at it.

As to the LWB and Diesel...sure, that's what they're for. My 1 ton 2wd single wheel truck does pretty good for simply being a 131" wb 350 TBI truck. At least the springs can take the weight and it doesn't sit so high that it sways all over and it has D or E load rated tires on it. I don't pull over 10,000 with it and I keep the speed reasonable and she does great.

I have never pulled anything big with my shortbox K10, and now that it's on 38s, I wouldn't even think of pulling anything at all with it.

16. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more! Sorry to hear about the wreck, but hopefully someone here will learn from your mistake. Blazers are great wheelers, but not really a tow rig (unless you are flat towing a zuki)! You need wheelbase to tow safely!

17. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i feel your pain! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Sucks in many ways. There is no garontee about tomorrow. Live everyday to its fullest. Glad your ok.! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif and thanks for the help you've given me lately.

KEN

19. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

blazers do just fine towing..i have towed a 72 blazer from AZ back to stockton ca and 1FNHIK5's 72 back from blazer fest in 02 went he blew up his tranny..its all about gettin the weight in the right place on the trailer...too much tounge weight you wont be able to steer...too little and the trailer is goin to make you go where it wants you too..its all about weights and ballance /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In my opinion, go for max tongue weight and use weight distributing bars to get that weight on the front wheels. That's always the safest way to pull...with the max weight on the truck without overloading it and truck and trailer level.

AND USE SWAY CONTROL!