Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Totalled!!! UPDATE!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brad, May 15, 2000.

1. Brad

Brad Registered Member

When I started watching this site, I couldn't wait until I had enough posts to become a member. I never imagined that my 25th post would inform you all that my beautiful blue baby, the '84 Jimmy with only 39,000 miles on it, 17 mpg, perfect interior, and shiny paint, has been totalled by the insurance company of the guy who hit me(State Farm). It still drives fine (needs alignment), but they estimated the cosmetic damage at $4,000. The shop I went to said it would be more than that. What should I do?

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas. I am pleased to tell you that after aggressively talking with the insurance company (calling everyday 4-5 times a day for 7 days, and then calling the state insurance commissioner to complain), the situation has been resolved. The Jimmy is going to the shop next week for repairs, an entirely new paint job, and then I'll decide what to do with rest of the money. I'm glad that she'll be on the road again in a few weeks.

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Totalled!!!

Grab an LMC catalog and start getting replacement parts....fenders for 100.00, hood for 150... then just replace it yourself and save the 4000.00. I know if you need help...all of us here could extend any needed advice you might ask for.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

KEEP IT!!! If you're sure it's mechanically safe and sound, hold onto it! Cosmetic damage is just that, cosmetic. If the rest of the truck is as good as you say, you'll have a vehicle, and you can start a "Fix & paint the Blazer" fund at home. Good luck with whatever you choose!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Brad,

Dude, take the $4000 and fix it yourself. Go get your alignment done professionally, it'll cost about $60beans, and then buy whatever parts you need that is damaged from LMC, or Goldenstate p/u, or JCW, plenty out there, and fix it yourself. You'll definately end up with more than enough money, then you can put that money to good use, like a lift, or a winch or something. Reason why the shop said it will cost a lot more to fix is b/c of labor, shops charge an arm and a leg for labor. Something to think about, but definately don't get rid of that truck.
    Boss

5. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If it really means that much to you Fight with the insurance company!! They will pay if you press them long enough. I'm sure the guy has at least $25, 000 coverage. Get three good estimates and send them to them. Don't believe the insurace adjuster. They are on State Farm's side.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Take the money and hit the junkyard trail. Not sure of the damaged you have but itd got to be fixable if its cosmetic. I replaced a hood and fender for about 100 bucks and threw on a cheap paint job. The bumper doesnt sit right but I'm sure with time I'll smash a rock and straighten it out. Good luck.
    jim

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

First of all, you should make sure your insurance co is aware of this claim by the other insurance company. You should be asking your insurance agent, what the best option is. If it is drivable, you may just keep it and fix it. If it is going to take $4000 to make it look like it once did, I would get a high estimate and go buy another Blazer. You can then make this one trail only or part it out. Post a pic if you have one.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that Brad, but if it is drivable I would say "fix it" cosmetic work doesn't cost that much if you do it yourself, shops are always gonna ask for an arm and a leg and maybe both legs good luck with whatever decision you take.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

9. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Get YOUR insurance agent & company involved. I'd make 'em (State Farm) fix it! I don't think you have to accept it being "totalled." See, if you let them total it, then your title will be marked Salvage or something like that. If you ever decide to sell (which we know you'll never do!), a smart buyer will do a title search, discover this and use it as leverage in negotiations. A title marked Salvage may or may not affect ability to insure the vehicle. I'll check w/ my sister-in-law, she handles commercial auto stuff like this all the time for a carrier.

Keep us posted & don't lose faith!
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

10. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you should keep it !!!I know in this state ( Wash. ) if you fix a rig that's been totaled it shows up on the title . One thought would be to let them total it and then buy it back . Check into before doing it . slavage yards only pay insurance companies a percentage of what the insurance company paid you. So if they give you $4,000.00 the yard might pay like $200.00 . Give them the $200.00 back and take the $3800.00 and buy your parts and fix it yourself . Then get a bodyshop to paint it.

11. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

THIS IS EASY IN MANY WAYS.....
    1A. BUY IT BACK FOR A COUPLE OF HUNDRED
    1B. KEEP IT!!!!!!
    2. GO GET AS MANY ESTIMATES AS YOU CAN...BUT GET THEM FROM THE BEST!(A CHEVROLET DEALER...BEST BODY SHOP IN TOWN...AND MAACO IS AWLAYS HIGH PRICED.)JUST BECAUSE THEY ESTIMATE IT DOOESNT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE TO WORK ON IT!
    3.DONT SETTLE FOR LESS THAN YOU THINK IT'S WORTH! MANY TIMES THE INS. CO. WILL GIVE YOU AN OFFER...YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE IT! THEY WILL ALLWAYS PAY MORE! IT MAY BE A WHILE BUT THEY WILL SETTLE.
    4. DO IT YOURSELF AND SAVE$$$$!

GOOD LUCK!!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok let me explain to you how insurance companies work on crap like this and how you fight it. They want to get off as cheap as possible and they will low ball you to see if you go for it. Now you need to document everything! What you paid for the truck what you have in upgrades, the millage, tires (what you paid and how old), if the tranny was rebuilt ect. You need to document every good point about the truck before the wreck.
    Then grab your local paper and and find as many trucks like yours and find out the millage and asking price. If your paper is like mine you will find that everybody thinks their truck is made of gold and have high asking prices. Throw that down to the adjuster and say none of these are as nice as my truck was. You find one with 39k near showrrom for what your offering me for mine that was that way.
    Basicly your trying to drive up the value of the truck to beyond where they want to total it or till you get a decent price if they do.
    Your truck sounds like it was in awsome condition and very low miles. Your NEVER going to find another in that good of shape and you need to make sure the insurance belives that. Your truck if as good as it sounds should be in the $6k neighborhood not counting upgrades.
    FIGHT THIS!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

13. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

My advice is to take the money and buy back the Blazer from the insurance company. I had my '83 Scottsdale PU totaled. I had paid $1500 for it 4 years previously. It had a little rust, but was fully loaded. they paid me $3300 for it and then told me that I could have my truck back for $300. I guess that was the salvage value. Talk to the adjuster who's handling the case and try to get his lowest price. He won't hesitate to let you buy it back. Lot less paperwork for him. Oh yea. Hope you got a rental for at least 2 weeks.

Phil in K.C.

14. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

An 84 K5 in that great of condition Books retail for nearly 7k. whole sales for about 4k. They are feeding you a line of crap. They are low balling you. Do what the other guys said to do and get other estimates and retail figures for your gem of a blazer.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

15. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Ive been told that the insurance company now wont pay until the work is completed and you provide proof(invoice). Anybody know about this?

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Get the hell outta my way!</font color=blue>

16. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Smae advice! Keep the truck and fix it. You won't find anything else to match a K5!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

17. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

OK, here's the response from my sister-in-law on general laws/regulations governing insurers "totalling" a vehicle. Looks like Brad should get out his receipts, calculator & do some homework before calling State Farm. I'd also try looking for valuation from another reliable source, like firms that appraise antique and collectors vehicles (e.g. rare Vettes, Camaro's model T's etc.)

David,
    I am answering this question based on VA automobile law...but this does basically work in other jurisdictions in which I have handled cases.
    If the damage done to a vehicle totals to 70% of the value of the vehicle, then the insurance company declares the vehicle a 'total loss'. The insurance company then has decided that instead of risking that the cost to repair the vehicle will be greater than the value of the vehicle, they will give the owner payment in full of the vehicle's value. The insurance company and the owner then begin negotiations. Each jurisdiction varies on what is used as the accepted source for valuing vehicles. In VA we use the NADA. Of course, each company then arbitrarily values a vehicle at either wholesale, retail, or some average of these figures. When the total loss figure is determined by the insurance company, if the owner does not agree there is room for negotiation. There is a base vehicle value, additions and subtractions for vehicle condition such as tires, engine, mileage, paint, etc. In every jurisdiction the owner is entitled tot he value plus sales tax. Each state then has it's own little other additions. In VA there is also payment due the owner of $12.00 for transfer of title and tags. The appraiser also gets a variety of salvage quotes. The owner is offered 2 figures for their vehicle, one if the insurance company takes the vehicle away and one if the owner wants to keep the vehicle.
    Here is an example: Let's say the base value of the Blazer is 3000.00, then we add on $100.00 for new tires, $25.00 for being extra clean, $50.00 for automatic transmission, and $125.00(from the value guide source) for low mileage.( Also if the owner has receipts for recent work on the vehicle this could add value, especially if for engine or transmission.) Thus the value is now $3300.00. In VA the owner would get an additional 3% sales tax on the $3300.00 and $12.00 for title and tag transfer. If the high salvage bid is $300.00; then the offer would be for the insurance company to keep the Blazer for $3411.00 or the owner keeps the vehicle and receives $3111.00.
    The insurance company does not have to pay more in repair costs than the value of the vehicle. This is why most companies use around 70% as the 'total loss' threshold. If the damages are 70% or more, then there is almost always a supplement and the cost of rental to make up the 30% .
    I hope this helps.
    Susan

Good Luck Brad,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

18. Brad

Brad Registered Member

The insurance company is supposed to get in touch with me Friday morning after doing a 'market survey' to determine what a realistic value of my Jimmy is. I hope we come to an agreement, I just want it fixed. Haven't had the guts to tell grandpa about it yet. Thanks everyone for the help, I'll keep you posted as to what develops.
    Brad '84Jimmy

19. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Update explained in the first post of this thread.

20. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that you got it resolved. That would have been a terrible rig to lose or part out.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>