Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOUCHY BRAKES!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Sep 27, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

The brakes on my '88 are very grabby, not much effort to lock em up especially at low speeds. I just got it on the road last night, could it be that I'm just not used to it or maybe something wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did you check the pads, if they are worn out and the metal is gripping on metal you could get that otherwise you just have great brakes and I envy you /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    One more thing, can you tell if you just lock up the front? you might have a problem in the modulator (I am not sure of the name, it's what biases the front to the back)
    Hope this helps
    IceMan

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

How far is the pedal depressing? Sounds like air in the lines and when they do grab they grab full force....also could be the master cylinder going out if it feels spongy before grabbing.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are all the wheels locking, or just one or both of the rears? Drum brakes grab when there is gear lube on the drums and shoes. That's a sure way to find out that you have a leaking axle seal. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I second what Harry said. I have had experience with that myself. Good possibility.

John

6. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

To all, front pads are brand new, no leaks in rear, not much pedal travel. Less than 1 hour ago it passed state inspection, so I guess everything is fine, thanks.