Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tough truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Oct 9, 2001.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

should i enter in the tough truck comp thats coming to town? and if i do what kind of damage can i expect to happen to my truck?

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Go for it. I was going to enteer, but my cage isnt in yet so I didnt. I dont know if you got an event schedule but the first day consits of a log crawl, rock crawl, tire pit (where you drive through a long stretch of tires in between two walls), moster jump ( have to jump the truck), and drag racing. Day two is an obstacle course. I would say expect to break axles or driveshafts, and a little body damage, other then that I dont think anyting else.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. JunkYardCrawler

do you have to have a cage? i only got a bent roll bar. i gots lots of work to get done befor i enter.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

we had one but it was on a motocross track. That's how I acquired my blazer. Bought it for $431 bone stock to race. Took the top off and the rear window out. I had already been racing an '83 toy in tough truck comps with little damage. But I really flogged on the blazer. Killed the starter and we rebuilt it in between rounds. Clogged up the carb, but we flushed it out too. And on the 3rd round, got squirrly in the backstretch, lost control, and smacked a monster truck. bent my fender, crinkled my hood, spit my grill out. Backed up and finished the final jump. I was in the top 8 out of 18 trucks. Back on the line for the final round after pulling out the fender with a chain and my buddy's '84 stepside. Stalled twice on the line, but fired it off the third time and ran it in less time than anyone but had to take a 5th place. It's fun, have your carb tuned right though, those whoops can slosh you all up.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. JunkYardCrawler

i guess the main thing i'm worried about would be my diffs. i got a D44 and a 12 bolt. i have done some jumping but not very high. i just rebuilt them a while back like 6-9 months ago. don't want to break that much money on the truck. not when i can sell them later to get a D60 and parts for my 14 bolt. i don't really care if i break an axel or a u-joint thats no prob. but i don't want to bust my locker or bend the housing or trash my R&amp;P.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Then you better practice your landings. I typically jump two three times a year, landing right is the key.
    Like landing as level, as you can, maybe just a little bais to the front, but not much, say 45 % rear 55 %
    front. Deffinatly do not endow, or shoot the moon(landing on your rear, front skyward). If your rear springs
    are much softer than the front, you may have to power out on the first bounce, kinda like the monster trucks.
    Good luck

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

landing wise, stay on the gas till you hit. Whatever you do, dont hit the brakes in the air. That'll trash your shafts pretty easily. Put a front truss on the frontend if you want. I ran stock, with a 10 bolt, 12 bolt and 3.08s on 31's and did fine. Saw a few rigs snap axles though by freaking out in the air and either hitting the brakes or smashing down the accelerator. AND I cant stress this enough, if it's a dry dirt course with whoops like we ran, do it in 2wd unlocked. more control, you can powerslide around the corners, and it doesn't stress the frontend nearly as much on landings!!!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

8. JunkYardCrawler

cool i porb will if i can manage to rebuild my carb and weld up my crack in my frame.

Executioner are you going to enter?

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    No, I don't think so, but I might be up for a jump or two !

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You dont have to have a cage, but I would recomend one. As for jumping you shouldnt have a problem as longs as you land ok. My buddy jumps his 92 toyota 4 runner all the time.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

and wear a helmet!!! buckle the passenger seatbelt and if you go into a roll, dive into the pass seat and wrap your arms around the belt.

Sherman, Tx