Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow a K-20 on a tow dolly or trailer with surge brakes?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by MuddNutz, Aug 30, 2004.

1. MuddNutz

MuddNutz Registered Member

I am looking at buying a k-20 and it not road worthy so I will need to tow it back. I have a buddy with a F-350 diesel dually but no trailer would it be better to tow it on a rental tow dolly or on a rented equipment trailer with surge brakes?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

U-haul will not rent there equipment to tow a K20 unless you accidently tell them it is an S10 by accident /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Seriously a trailer rated for the load with brakes would be the safest way to go. I have hauled 3/4 ton pickups on a tow dolly with an F350 dually crewcab before though and not even been close to having braking problems in the mountains.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, so what i had on here was a PM to steve cus i had to many CK5 windows open...
    anyway,

i do not like tow dollys at all. i think they aredangerous. a surge brake flat deck from uhaul will to a k20 just fine so long as there isnt anything in the bed to add a lot of weight. but you do have to lie to them to get it.
    Grant

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I would rather haul it on a trailer with no brakes than on a car dolly. As stated above, the surge brake job from u-haul will be fine.

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the surge brake job from u-haul will be fine

[/ QUOTE ] No it won't. The truck is too big & heavy. Whenever you tow a different vehicle than what's on the rental contract, you've broken it. All contracts, insurances, etc. are void. You will be held 100% responsible for anything that happens.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the surge brake job from u-haul will be fine

[/ QUOTE ] No it won't. The truck is too big & heavy. Whenever you tow a different vehicle than what's on the rental contract, you've broken it. All contracts, insurances, etc. are void. You will be held 100% responsible for anything that happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said,

dont go to u-haul, and dont lie if you do,

look in your yellow pages on equpment or tracter suppy rentals in the phone book.

I found plenty in my area, even some with big wider tow dollies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

also cheaper than u-haul /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

From what I've been told by U-haul, the dolly (and the car hauler) are too narrow for a full sized truck and it won't even fit. Anyone actually try using one from U-haul on a fullsize?

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

yup, to narrow.

Even using a wider one, was a tough squeeze because of the big d-60 hubs, I also had stock tiny tires on it.