Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Bar Design

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMCLegacy, Nov 12, 2003.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

I have searched and read all the posts on ck5 regarding tow bars, but couldnt find anything about the design of one. i understand that the towbar should be parallel to the ground, but what are the guidlines that are used to determine the angle of the triangle and/or the length of the towbar itself?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I always borrow a tow bar from a friend of mine. It is adjustable but I usually hook it up at the frame rails on the towed vehicle. Then it is about 32-36" between the mounting point and hitch depending on how far apart the frame rails are. I am guessing about the length off the top of my head. (About as wide as a typical doorway though)

If you make a solid tow bar it will tow better than the clamp on style like I am used to using, but I have a few tricks to make this one easier to use and stay on tight.

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

at the base it should be as wide as the frame rails of your towed vehicle because your frame should be your attachment point. mine is made out of 2x2 box tubing and about 4ft long it weighs about 60 pounds and is strong as hell because I haul my 6000 pound trail rig with it. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif- /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what size hitch ball, or should a pintal hitch be used. im guessing a pintal would be noisy since there is no tongue weight on the towbar as there would be if it were a trailer.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

2" ball would probably be fine. I dont think you want the slop of a pintle hitch in a towbar. Slop will lead to strange behavior of the towed vehicle.

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what size hitch ball, or should a pintal hitch be used. im guessing a pintal would be noisy since there is no tongue weight on the towbar as there would be if it were a trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a 2" ball. I wouldnt use a pintle setup because in corners the thing would slap around and possibly give a nice jerk with a big jacknife dont sound like fun