Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow bar experiences... if anyone is interested

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

There has been a raging debate about flat towing K5s on a tow bar for a while now. Lots of guys have had good experiences, and lots have had bad experiences. I just took a trip to the city about 3 hours away from me. I flat towed my K5. I tell ya, it rolled along so nicely, I didnt even notice it there. We travelled at around 95km/h the whole way down without as much as a wiggle. Stopping was a little nasty until I got used to it and slowed down enough in advance. The first couple stops I was a little long. I can see how it could mess ya up pretty quick in a panic stop. On the road, the key I found was very gentle, smooth steering inputs, the slightest quick motion would make her wiggle like crazy. Again, a panic turn could get ugly really quickly. In a nutshell, I would do it again. It wasnt a bad experience at all, as long as the driver is paying attention and driving sensibly.

Mike

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

out of curioisity, what did u tow it with?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think one of the keys is a very solid attachment to the towed vehicle. Some of those rental bars look to be held on by the grace of God and not much more.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The tow bar I built bolted to the frame directly and the towed K5 I had behind me was very well behaved...even at 90 mph. When you're in Oklahoma and you see a funnel cloud and all these cars with Oklahoma plates are blasting by you at 100 mph...you do like the locals do and try and keep up./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I didn't think it would pull 90 mph towing another Blazer...but it did and boy does it get crappy mileage at that speed./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene