Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow bar towing

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Jays Beast, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Ok tried searching but not coming up with the answers I need.

My questions are when towing a '83 blazer with a tow bar should the tranny and transfer case be in neutral? What is the easiest way and cheapest way to wire the taillight to work from the tow vehicle? Also is ther anything else that should be done to the vehical in tow?

Thanks for any help,
    Jay

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if its a part time case, just unlock the hubs, put the transfer case in neutral. If I recall correctly, you can leave the tranny in "park". Dont forget to put the key to start to unlock the steering column.

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i think you want to pull the rear drive shaft and put the front hubs in Free. what are you towing with, how far, and how often?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok tried searching but not coming up with the answers I need.

My questions are when towing a '83 blazer with a tow bar should the tranny and transfer case be in neutral? What is the easiest way and cheapest way to wire the taillight to work from the tow vehicle? Also is ther anything else that should be done to the vehical in tow?

Thanks for any help,
    Jay

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's auto, you definitely want to take the rear Driveshaft off. If manual, the debate is still on, I don't.
    The wiring is easy, PM me and I will check again for you when I go home, you will splice into the wiring at the firewall putting a 4way plug and wire to get to the towing vehicle.
    I did that on my blazer.
    I will give you the color coding.
    What year is the blazer?
    I believe they are all the same colors but just in case...

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

You don't need to pull the driveshaft if it is a 4x4 as long as the xcase is in Neutral. The reason to pull the rear driveshaft on a 4x2 is because the tailshaft bushing in the auto tranny needs transfluid circulating to keep it lubed.
    The transfer case gears and seals are lubricated by the oil inside sloshing around and being flung by the gears. Engine on or off won't make a difference there.

Hope it helps.
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I agree. No need to remove any drive shafts. Put tranny in park, keep the key in to unlock steering shaft, and then put the transfer case in neutral.

unlocking the front hubs only increases your fuel economy, but it doesnt hurt anything. (unless you got a locker or sometihng)