Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

OK, so my flat tow bar just arrived. I will only be using it for stort distances, less than 5 miles, with different trucks. Instructions say to fab a bracket that mounts to the frame and use that to pull it. What have you done to make yours work?

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

we took off the bumper of the k5 and drilled holes through the frame, towed it from NY to VA no problems in a Toy T100. the truck ended up getting parted out once we got back home.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My 91' has the factory tow hooks. I wonder if I should take them off and bolt a length of C channel in there place?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Without my bumper, there's plenty of holes in the front of the frame rails already. With my front bumper, thanks to Kert at DIY4X, I bolt to the D-Ring anchors.

5. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Is there a limit to how far you can flat tow a Blazer?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I pulled my rear driveshaft out & unlocked the hubs in my K5 & drug it 1000 miles. Then I found out it was Illegal because anything over 3000lbs being towed needs brakes & brakeaway brakes in CO, NM, & AZ where I towed it. Each state is different but if I remember right even in high limit states like Texas the limit was 4500lbs which is still less then what a K5 weighs.

I towed pretty well the only real problem was stopping, especially panic stopping. I also towed it with heavy trucks though, 2005 F250 & a 1998 Dodge 2500 diesel which made it a little easier to stop with there larger brakes, & the weight of the truck helped keep them from getting pushed around by the K5.

Keep in mind that you probably won't get caught but if you do it can be some expensive fines.

Harley

7. TexasBlazerBoy

Thanks for the response? Does hurt the Blazer any, i.e. transmission or tcase?

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

no it doesnt hurt it, we flat towed a 1ton k5 500miles from upstate NY to VA and no damage

9. TexasBlazerBoy

Good to hear that. I don't have a trailer and driving it for 4 hrs to wheeling is out of the question.:haha:

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What trasfer case do you have? If you have a NP208 or 241 you should pull the rear driveshaft when towing it, & if you are going to tow long distance you should pull the rear shaft on any K5 no matter the Tcase.

If you have a fulltime 203 you should pull both shafts if you can't unlock the from hubs.

Harley

11. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Does that mean I can bolt to my factory tow hooks?