Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Bars??

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by NateInChandler, Dec 15, 2006.

1. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Hey fellas, im lookin at setting up a tow bar setup for my blazer and ill be towing it with my 85 chevy truck, what do youguys use for tow bars and does anyone have any pictures... Thanks.. Nate

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess I'll be the first to jump in on this. A Blazer is alot of weight to be using a tow-bar for. It can be done, but needs to be done cautously, and hopefully not far. You will need to set up some kind of supplemental braking system as well. I have used a Hidden Hitch towbar, sorry no pics, to tow a Jeep and a mastertow (I think thats the name) brake unit, it sat on the floor and pushed on the brake pedal when i stopped. Borrrowed it from a friend who used it when towing a car behind his motorhome. Anyway, it handled OK, but a full trailer is definitly the way to go.

3. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The law requires that anything being towed that weighs over 3000 lbs must have brakes & break-away brakes. I towed my K5 with a towbar & it was ok but not great. I towed it on several trips. It was definitly scary when you needed to brake heavily.

The laws requiring the brakes are the exact reason I have a trailer right now. I was going to tow my K5 from CO back to AZ on my towbar (I towed it up there that way) then I actually looked at the laws & realized that I was severly in violation of the law. There are ways to do brakes on a towbar but I did not have time to rig it up so I bought a trailer so I wouldn't miss Parker.

A tow dolly with brakes is a better idea then a towbar unless you do a towbar with brakes. A full trailer is the best idea obviously.

Harley

5. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

well, from the sounds of it i need to do insurance and registration on it to tow bar it also, so that defeats the purpose of saving money ( for the 2 times ill drive it a month) towards insur and reg... i was trying to do this on the cheap but it looks like im gonna end up putting insurance and reg on it so i can drive it twice a month to the trail and back.... :confused: Nate

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a trailer is worth every dollar you spend on it. I pulled my truck with a tow bar a couple of times. you have to leave a lot of room for stopping. if you break something that will not allow flat towing then a trailer is a godsend.

a tow dolly is better then a towbar, but usually they do not accomodate big tires.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Did the tow bar thing. It is more than scary when stopping. That is biggest drawback. It will jackknife you faster than you can blink in a turn too. If you have to get as much tail weight on the back of the towrig.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Scary , but you look like a pro when the a$$hat in front of you checks up unexpectedly :wink1:

Still sorry for that :o

9. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I need to tow my rig from California to Georgia. I will be pulling it with my 2006 Chevy 1 ton box van that has a gvw of 12,300. I am moving so all of my tools and other stuff will be in the 8X12 box and my truck loaded should weigh around 9K. With that much weight and that big of a tow vehicle would the tow bar still be that dangerous? The other option is to ship it across by a trucking service, but I dont know what that will cost. Any advice?

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would suggest renting a trailer from U-haul. Tell them you towing a nissan maxima. if you tell them you are pulling a fullsize truck on it they will not let you rent one.

tow bars are good for short trips. too much can go wrong in a cross country trip.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Towing that far with a towbar is questionable at best. It is probably illegal in most of the state you haul through. Also the added weight of the tools helps keep the K5 from pushing the van around but they hurt your breaking performance.

Your van's brakes will be called upon to stop your van, all your stuff, & your K5. I would say it might be better to lie to Uhaul and rent a trailer. You might want to buy a spare tire though since Uhaul won't provide one for you.

Harley