Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Hook mounting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, May 4, 2003.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

How the hell do I get the holes to mount tow hooks to my frame drilled? After five broken bits and three hours of cussing at my truck, the drill, the bits and the world, I am stuck. I have access to an oxyacetylene torch at the firehouse. Should I just do it with the torch? Somebody help me before I do something irrational... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Use cobalt bits and cutting oil- don't let the bit go dry. Should be easy with this. I went through all kinds of lesser bits (including titaniium) til I found the cobalt. Start with smaller sized bits and work gradually larger until you get the size you want. Don't try to drill a half inch hole on the first go round.

3. firefighter184

Yup. That half inch hole on the first shot is what got me. That and bits of questionable origin. My buddy gave them to me and said, "I don't expect them back..." /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm still thinking about the torch though. I LIKE fire...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Drill pilot holes with a smaller bit. That is what I did when I drilled mine. I started with a decent quality 1/4" bit or something and drilled it out with larger bits until the 1/2" worked. I also used a punch to help give the metal a little dent for the bit to start in. Only took me about 20 minutes to drill the 4 holes I needed for my rear tow hooks.

5. firefighter184

Do you have any pics of how you did your rear hooks? Also, what about the torch? FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE...

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My rear hooks are mounted off the side plates of my 2" reciever hitch. I am eventually going to get rid of the hitch as it is a land anchor, but for now at least I have a place to hookup to.

It was a little hairy drilling those hook holes as if you slip and go to far with the bit after it finished the hole you might hit the gas tank which might make things a little interesting. I put a block of wood in there to keep the bit off the tank. The only picture I have you can't really see them. It is here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/63408103/63408689reLRYp

You can kinda make them out on the side of the hitch plate where it ends.

If you have a pretty good drill, go to Ace Hardware and buy yourself a good 1/2" drill bit, and a good 1/4" drill bit. Use a punch and a hammer and mark your first hole area (try and dent it a little if possible). Drill with the 1/4" then the 1/2". Then mount the hook with the one bolt hole and use the hook as a templet for the second hole. I drilled right threw the hook hole into the frame and it worked fine for me.

Once you get to the 3rd and 4th hole it will be harder because bit will begin to dull.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have any pics of how you did your rear hooks? Also, what about the torch? FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE...

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's not going to make a clean hole. You want the proper sized bolt hole too big and it lets the hook shift. after a few times of that the hole will acke like a shear and cut the bolt. Hit Home Depot The bits in the red package are good. Keep the package and when you screw up the bit wait for a dumb person at the return counter and exchange them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ATF will work as a cuting oil but the real stuff is clingy and tends to seak heat and works better.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't like the idea of small steps up to the final size. When I am going to drill a .5" hole in my frame I drill with something about .25" or a bit smaller than step right up to the .5" bit.

Spin it real slow! The 800rpm that my 1/2" drill will do is way to fast!

Push real hard! Brace yourself up against something to get a good angle on it and push. As you come up to the end of the hole ease up on the pushing and up the speed a bit.

When you get it right you will see little contious curls of steel coming from the hole.

The only thing I needed cobalt drills for were my leaf springs. Frames are just weak non-hardened mild steel and are easy in compairison.

9. firefighter184

FINE!!! I guess I'll have to wait until I do some mega-mods down the road to use the ol' torch, eh? Well, thanks for the info. I guess it's off to Home Depot tomorrow. Trust me, there are plenty of dumb people at the counter at my local Depot. Being as how I damn near live there, I know who they are. Any excuse to visit the big orange box is good enough for me...I'll let you guys know how it goes.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks like you got it figured out, but I'll put in my 2 cents too. I just drilled some more holes in my frame for shock mounts with this technique, it always works and doesn't kill bits. Start with a 1/4" pilot hole then step straight to the 1/2" hole. Use lots of cutting oil, spin the small bit real fast and the large bit real slow. Somewhat light pressure on the small bit and heavy pressure on the large one. I use regular high speed steel bits and have drilled 10+ holes in my frame with the same bits and they're still sharp.</font>

11. firefighter184

OK. So I got the front hooks in. Now, where do I put the rear ones? The 1/4" bit, then the 1/2" bit, with cutting oil worked great, by the way. I have stock bumpers, spare is behind the back seat. The only place I see that has room backs right up against the gas tank! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have a pickup so I don't know where the Blazer guys put them... I just bolted mine straight to the bottom of the frame at the end of the framerails. If you have a receiver hitch you can get one of the slide in thingys with the hole for a big shackle. </font>

13. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

I argree with Hossbaby50 ,
    Grim-Reaper, and Skigirl