Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Hook?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hektyk, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Hey guys I have an 84 K5 and I have a question. I just took the tow hook off of my truck because it was mounted side ways. I want to remount it but have no idea on where to do so at. This is in the front by the way.
    Thanks. Russell /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

ttt! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Those tow hooks are mounted at about a 45* angle from the factory, kind of point towards the middle of the truck. not sure why, but it helps on side pulls.

4. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Thats understandable, but this one runs perfectly parrallel with the front bumper. It doesn't look factory, its a Chrome two bolt 10,000 pound hook. I figured I might be able to mount it front ways on the bumper bracket that my front springs hook to.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats understandable, but this one runs perfectly parrallel with the front bumper. It doesn't look factory, its a Chrome two bolt 10,000 pound hook. I figured I might be able to mount it front ways on the bumper bracket that my front springs hook to.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your truck is like mine you'll find only one holes exists to mount it there. that's how mine are in- never use them, i use my pushbar. if you find a place to mount them let me know and take a picture!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to remount your tow hook, do it directly to the frame. No bumper supports or anything else unless it is well contected to the frame of the truck. My front hooks are mounted on the front of the frame. One hole exists from the factory, and I drilled the second. I attached them using grade 8 bolts to make sure they are not going anywhere.

If it was mounted parallel to the bumper I don't know what the hell the previous owner was doing.

7. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Alright I'll look tommorow. I will take a picture if I figure it out. Thanks for the advice guys.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if your truck is like mine you'll find only one holes exists to mount it there. that's how mine are in- never use them, i use my pushbar. if you find a place to mount them let me know and take a picture!

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres a couple of pics of where it was mounted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic of where I am thinking about mounting it.
    [​IMG]

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That pic of how/where you want to mount it looks like a good place.
    I can't even imagine how the hook would have worked in the old place. Just about the only pull you could do with that would be from the right side of the truck. Anything to the front and the strap would fall right off. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the guy before you must have been a sailor that liked to tie sh!t to the hood

11. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Ya I don't know what they were thinking.They were mounted on the same thing as the springs. I want to mount them next door to that on the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think they were smokin a bit of Cheeeeeeba when they mounted that tow hook!

13. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Where you put the hook, where you're planning to mount... thats where i have mine mounted, I have pulled out many jeeps with that thing bwahaha
    I had to drill a hole or two thru the frame and use quite the bit of washers to get them steady. but they work excellent!

15. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Where you put the hook, where you're planning to mount... thats where i have mine mounted, I have pulled out many jeeps with that thing bwahaha
    I had to drill a hole or two thru the frame and use quite the bit of washers to get them steady. but they work excellent!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome thanks man.

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No prob... btw you want a really good drill and good bits, cause drilling through the frame is a bitch and a half. I had to go to the shop and tell them to drill the holes cause my 20 dollar cordless couldnt handle the job lol.

Not sure if you can tell, but try looking at the top right corner, its a chrome hook.

[​IMG]

17. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    No prob... btw you want a really good drill and good bits, cause drilling through the frame is a bitch and a half. I had to go to the shop and tell them to drill the holes cause my 20 dollar cordless couldnt handle the job lol. Not sure if you can tell, but try looking at the top right corner, its a chrome hook.

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya one of the family friends has worked at GM now for 30 years. He has all kinds of pro tools. So I am sure he has a good drill. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hey txsize do those dual stabilizers help alot? I have the factory one and I have massive wheel play. Wheel wonder is horrible. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have mine mounted like the pics above also. Its a good solid mount. I have pulled out many rigs, and have been pulled out of obsticle or two /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Using them.

19. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I had a single rancho one before... it was still really good. I didn't notice too much of a difference, besides, it doesnt wander as much. Not a dramatical improvement, but definately noticable. one of my friends had a factory single that was shot, and switching to dual he said it dramtically improved bumpsteer as well as wandering on his with 36x14.50 TSL radials