Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Hooks Locations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jan 9, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Basically where do you guys have them mounted on the front. I have an 84 that i cant figure out where to mount some except on top of the bumper.

Thanks!

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Some where on the frame in a position that will allow for a strait pull angle without twisting the hook.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

get the newer 88-up style hook in a parts yard or the dealer. the local dealer for me will sell them to me at my shop price of under 30 bucks. comes with 2 hooks 2 plates and 4 bolts. thay mount flat and are beefy units for stockers.

4. broncoman6524

Where Were they mounted stock. I know it was under the bumper but i dont know where they tied into the frame.

Im about to just rip off my bumper and build a brushguard!

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I mounted my hooks directly behind the bumper and cut big holes in the bumper to run chain through. Works good. I don't have any pics, sorry.

6. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

My 81 Blazer and 73 K20 didnt have any. I drilled a couple holes in my frame on the 81 and had them under the bumper. On the 73 they are mounted to push bumper. Mounting them to a stock type bumper isnt a good idea. Can destroy bumper or possibly rip out. My cousin was wheeling with some buddies, all in 90's trucks and had a stock tow hook rip off and fly through 2 trucks. Luckilly nobody got hurt or killed. They had 3 trucks tied up trying to get one unstuck.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't really care much for the 88-98 tow hooks because they straigten out too easy. They would work good for pulling a truck off the curb at the mall, but not for pulling a truck out of the mud. Here is what happened to my friend's tow hook from his stock Z71 as he was pulling out another friend's truck. We make everyone stand clear when we pull, so nobody get's hurt.

[​IMG]

9. broncoman6524

So im guessing that these tow hooks suck right?

http://4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=SUS&prodline=464&catName=Suspension&man=PRO&parentProdline=SusAccPRO&expand=sub7#

Man i realy wish i could get my hands on a militay bumper and brush guard:rolleyes: Oh wait i can but that would be stealing from the Police Station. It looks like its been sitting there a while. Its parked under a tree and been there so long you can see the falling sap and stuff all over it. :( Maybe i should ask about it. It looks to be in pretty good shape but realy in need of TLC

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I like the tow hooks on the ford super duty's. Nice hefty cast piece.

As stated above, I'd mount them to the frame, not the stock bumper. If you build a bumper, bolt them to the same piece of steel thets bolted to the frame.

I would also use some kind of backing plate when you bolt it to the frame. Simials to these.
    [​IMG]

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do you have any place near you that has old semi trucks? They have huge tow hooks on them. Here are some I got from an 80,000 pound truck for $20. It looks like 1/2" bolts and a 1/2" backing plate, although I have never measured and they may be 5/8". The one pic shows the mounting hardware compared to the stock mount hardware for a Z71. The receiver mount tow rings are also from a semi, and are very heavy duty. I got the two tow rings for free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  12. broncoman6524

not a paying member so i cant see them.

But i do have a truck salvage yard near me that every time i go by seems to be closed!

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ok, I changed things around, you should be able to see them now.

;)

14. broncoman6524

Damn those are some big A** tow hooks i know where im going in the morning!

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

These hooks are from a Freightliner Century Class. The hooks from a Freigtliner Columbia are the same. The receiver loops are from a Volvo. The International trucks also use a receiver type deal, but they are hooks instead of loops. I like the idea of building a receiver hitch/crossmember for the front and using receiver type hooks. I think the crossmember helps to support the frame rails from bending, and then your hooks will work front and rear.