Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Hooks up Front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 3, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I'm here again w/ some more newbie questions =P
    As for tow hooks, you can put two in the front right? You just bolt them onto the frame?? Can you do this on a stock 87? And how hard is it, what tools are needed? Just like a wrench? thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have them factory tow hooks BRAND SPANKING NEW with the bolts and hardware to complete the kit.

It cost me $80 new from GM. I can ship them to your door for $75.

<font color=blue>"Ya don't have to beat it, ya know!!!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Nah it's alright man, 4wpw sells em for 13 dollars a peice (kit to install too)

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Tow hooks are easy to install. On my 85 I think there was one hole already there from the factory, so mount the hook with the one hole and drill the other hole using the hook as a guide. If you use grade 8 hardware it'll be on there forever trust me.

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The ones from 4wp are just generic ones. To use them you will have to drill holes in the frame. They might not fit if they are too long, so check them before you buy. The ones Wes has on the other hand are the factory peices and bolt on with no drilling.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://84k5.coloradok5.com>84k5.coloradok5.com</a>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, I understand, but keep in mind, mine are the factory hooks, shaped like a "J" instead of those little black or chrome hooks you can find at any parts store.

Good luck! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>"Ya don't have to beat it, ya know!!!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've seen the factory hooks fail with very little load on em, they just 'straighten out' [​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. hmmmm.....

my '79(rip) had the towhooks, which i took off before what was left was hauled away...

my '83 had no towhooks, and no mounting holes for such....

i DO know that i wouldn't buy those 13 dollar hooks for a fullsize beast like a k-5... you get buried in the mud, and there's going to be TREMENDOUS forces involved pulling you out...really.

i'd go with the stockers, or some d-ring setup, and stay the hell away from it when you're pulling....

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah... what could i put up front? woudl it be possible to mount a hitch up front? My friends tow hook cut a few straps cuz they kept slipping down to the hook, my friend ties the straps to his leaf springs... thats not a good idea is it???!!

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use the 'D' ring shackles, mounted to a custom bumper. They work great!
    A receiver hitch up front would work...

Straps around leaf springs are a bad idea, but if you're desperate you do what you have to.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I haven't had a problem with my $13 tow hooks. I did us two grade 8 bolts to attach each though. As far as them breaking, I hit a minivan that made a left infront of me at 25 MPH and my drivers side tow hook took the main force of the impact. The frame bent, but my tow hook was fine after a coat of spray paint.

12. stump

stump Registered Member

Ok, now it's time for me to put in my 2 cents (tax included). =P
    The factory tow hooks for the S-10 Blazers are rock solid, IMHO. Anybody looking for good hooks I would suggest these. They can usually be purchased at any boneyard for about $20. I have pulled BIG trucks, tractors, trees, household appliances (LOL), big rocks, etc. and have NEVER had any problems with them. Just my opinion....

Good luck!
    Aaron

Austin, Texas
    1991 S10 Blazer, 6 in. suspension, 3 in. body lift, mt's.

13. i've got the $12 hooks on mine. the hooks have stood up fine. my frame, however, is bend and cracked at the ends from numerous yanks out of the mud. i'll be adding a front receiver when i get the chance.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

14. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I would recomend to your friend to not pull or be pulled by the leaf springs.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

15. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought two tow hooks from autozone for 9.95 each. I had to drill two 1/2" holes per hook to get them to fit in my 87. So far so good, many pulls. Had the same problem of sawing tow straps. I also hung a chain from the hooks, it looks bad ass, and if you adjust the droop right, you will hear the chain drag on rocks that are as high as your differential as a warning.

K-5- because size DOES matter!