Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow hooks up front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 28, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I just recently bought some tow hooks and was planning on sticking them up front... the only place i see fit is on the fframe right in front of where the front spring hanger (i guess thats what its called) is.... is there some place better to put them that i'm missing out on? My friend had hooks up front on his k5 but it broke off (maybehe put them on bad?) Thanks for in the input.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I drilled mine right into the frame right underneath the bumper. I believe they went in right after or before the bumper bolts that mount it to the frame. Make sure you use the right kind of drill bit. Mine are held on by two grade 5 bolts. I have used them multiple times with no problems.

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't remember exactly where the bolts are drilled, but if you go to my link at the end of my sig, you can see frontal shots of my truck and where my tow hooks are mounted. Also I used a 1/2" drill bit for the holes, and grade 8 bolts (2ea) for the hooks.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo73>My K5</a>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Here is a pic where I mounted mine up front. No drilling inin the frame required, since I just used what the factory holes that were already there.
    But if you don't have a bumper that will allow for this mounting, then the next best place is right in front of the front spring hanger like everyone suggested. I did that on my old K5.

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter