Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Hooks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Oct 9, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a Warn winch bumper on the front of my K5 with no winch yet. And probably no winch for a while...too much $$$ right now. So I still need to add some hooks to the front of my truck for a place to attach a tow rope. The only problem is the only viable place for them is on the bottom of the frame rails...which eats up my approach angle pretty bad. Mounting them on the sides of the rails isn't really possible with that bumper. What should I do to not kill my clearance in the front? Any other kinds of hooks made maybe??? Thanks in advance.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Just a thought here, but have you thought about some sort of D-rings attached to the front of the bumper? If its a bumper designed for a winch, it could probably take a pretty good load on it. If you could attach some D-rings to the front of the bumper it would (a) look cool, (b) not hurt your angles, and (c) be easy to get to for connection.

Just a thought.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I too have a Warn Classic. Look at my site under Warn M12000 winch install to see where I put mine. Yes it DOES reduce the approach angle slightly, but those bumpers do anyway. Eventually I want to replace this one with a SEC or something that doesn't eat approach angle so much.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Mount the hooks on the top of the bumper, you know, with the open part facing skyward. I've seen them on Jeeps that way.

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!