Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow hooks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, May 15, 2003.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Tried a search and couldnt find the answer. Saying that does anybody know were I can tow hooks that will fit under my K5, I tried 4WP tow hooks and pro comps and they wouldnt fit. BTW my truck didnt come the factory w/ them either which blows my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You still have a stock front bumper I assume. The tow hooks that came stock may be able to be had from the dealer, but I'm not sure. I have seen them in the "For Sale" forum from time to time. I bought the generic hooks from Wallyworld, and added a 1/2" spacer to the mounting bolt closest to the bumper, and a 1/4" spacer to the back bolt, and they work fine. Have towed, and been towed, several times with them no problem, 'cept they're upside down and need tension to hold the strap on.

John

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Dealer wants $50 each, Junk yard they should be dime a dozen.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The '81+ (or so) hooks are pretty oddly shaped, the bolts holes aren't "inline", so they match up with two holes in the frame.

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Do you know if the 81 and up tow hooks will on a 80 and older frame?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno what the year break was regarding two hooks. Could be '81+, or could have been earlier.

Believe there is a post on one of these boards about tow hook "styles", been awhile though.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Travis, I think your '78 will take the same factory hooks as were used on '73 through '80 or '81 trucks. The early ones are J-shaped, while the later ones are more like an S-shape.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I bought the same hooks at Wally world like Skullsnbones did.
    mounted them on the bottom side of the frame rails just behind the bumper.
    There is already a hole there and you have to to drill an extra hole per hook
    Just used a few washers to shim them they work great. They fit fine on my 89 it should be the same as your 88. I think they were only 7.99 or something like that and have a 12000+ lb rating. They come in black or chrome. Mine had metal clips that hold the strap or chain in.

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of "Factory" hooks for my '76.. the guy said that '73-'90 were the same.. Bull***t.. I finally got the ones for my '76.. the mounting holes are 3 1/2 inches apart and the newer K5's (80's) I believe are 2 1/2 or 2 3/4.. I still have the "newer" K5 hooks.. say $20.00 plus the ride.. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

'73-'80 and '81-'87('91) same as the rest of the front clip. Most people like the older style, even on the '81 &^ because it is just a "J" shaped hook. Or if you want to be real cool get some of the CUCV style shackle mounts.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you can find them, the late model hooks (not sure when they started) like on my '02 are really nice... Large, open "J" hooks with large mounting area.

I also like the CUCV mounts, but they can be a pain to strip off the donor and put on the new truck (if you want the full mount). The basic brackets are no problem, and if you run a tube bumper or something, it should be pretty easy to deal with getting them through the bumper. But, there is a 1/4"(?) reinforcing bracket that rivets onto the back side of the core support mount. Transfering that bracket involves dealing with the rivets on both trucks.

12. bigjbear

The late model ones are very nice and easy to mount. They seem to be popping up on a lot of trail rigs around here. I think they (or some very similar) started on the '88s. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    [ QUOTE ]
    CUCV mounts... back side of the core support mount

[/ QUOTE ] I didn't know about that one, unless it is the one that goes to the spring/body mount? You're going to make me go out to the parts truck, an't you? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. bigjbear

When I went outside I stopped by the M1008 for a quick look. Is it the plate inside the frame rail that runs from the fwd edge of the frame to the spring hanger/body mount? It is riveted in place, but so is almost everything else. My front clip was in the bed when I bought it so I never looked at together. Thanks for the heads up.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, that's it. 4 rivets need to be cut out to get the plate out...

15. bigjbear

Easy enough for me, nothing forward of the fire wall /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will have to make one new plate though, for some reason there is a section of the driver's side frame rail missing. I wonder why /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

16. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Harry, thanks for the info. Dont quite have the money for one of Tim's bumpers so these will have to do for awhile.
    Now to go find some in the yard.