Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Hooks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's the best way to get tow hooks on the front of an 83 K5? I don't see an obvious place to mount standard hooks.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my 81 has the factory hooks bolted to the bumper mounting bolts on the frame.
    The important thing to remember is to pull equally on both hooks so that the stress to the vehicle is marginalized..
    I also have the military setup which bolts through the chevy bumper into the frame mounting bolts... both setups are acceptable.. the military one is a little more beefy
    I do my best to pull from the rear only
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Not sure if you can see it, but top right handside...
    [​IMG]

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The military mounts are helicopter hooks. They are used for mounting a harness and moving the vehicles around with a helicopter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

When I put on my tow hooks I put them right in front of the springs on the frame. theres not much room so I had to notch the bumper and put the hooks at a little bit of an angle.
    -Kell-

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

there should be factory holes for them in the frame..if you dont have them on the truck..

7. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    there should be factory holes for them in the frame..if you dont have them on the truck..

[/ QUOTE ]

Holes for what? A factory style tow hook?

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you are asking. Please be careful as to how you attach them. A friends wife had to go to the hospital in an emerency with a huge gash in her neck from a tow hook that flew off someones rear, through the windshield and into her neck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They thought she wasnt going to make it for a while. VERY SCARY.

This was a competent wheeler that assumed someone we did not know had a good attachment. Well... guess he didnt. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ken H.