Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow motorhome with K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sparky87k5, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

OK, Seems Cliff Findlay Auto Center in Kingman has decided that the original $9774 for a new 350 and T400 trans is a little too much. They have decided to lower their price to $8400 but then called a day later and decided that they were still high after we faxed them a price from our local dealer. Now they say they can do it for $7200. Would you trust this dealership? Have been thinking of driving down there with my K5 and hooking a towbar onto the mini motor home. It's an 86 C30 Van conversion (Trans Van) & weighs about 8000#. Am I crazy to consider doing this? Not worried about my truck being strong enough but am I biting off more then I can chew? All braking would be done by K5 except on mountians when I could put my brother in law in the van to use the van brakes manually (no power brakes with blown engine). Opinions? Ideas?

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

all i have to say is be carefull...lots of risk doin that but as long as you guys have your timing right when breakin you should be fine..i dont know how legal that would all be but give it a try...

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I think you're asking a lot of your K5. Do you have any friends with a 1 ton that could help you?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not sure of the laws in other states, but in california it is illegal to have anyone in the vehicle being towed while it is moving. You would be best to borrow a trailer and tow it home that way. At least then the trailer would have brakes as well. Another thought is to have a local shop, (not a dealer) do the engine and tranny R&R then bill the dealer for your expenses and have someone drive it to where ever you are going with it.