Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow points/hooks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by new2k5, Dec 26, 2002.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

where can i mount front tow points? can i use the ones from newer chevy trucks?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Theres stock type hooks that bolt to the frame that you might be able to chase up.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

goto the salvage yard and find you some stock chevy tow hooks from the front of some truck, and find the best set you can find and get em, and bolt them on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of generic 10000 lbs tow hooks, and mounted them on the frame horns under the bumper. Had to make some spacers to clear the bottom of the bumper, but other than that, no probs.

John

5. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

thanks. i also kinda like the ones on ford (i know its a curse word)super duties a guy at my work has an excursion so i'll check outhow they mount on monday

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I hear the stock Chevy ones are the best. From what someone told me, Stock chevy ones when stressed to the max will strech and un"hook"... The aftermarket ones are somewhat tougher, but will "snap" when they reach their max.

Also, I personally dont like attaching hooks to points that are critical. (aka , I'd rather rip a piece out of my bumper than to loose a piece of my frame). My theory is that by attaching to a point that divides the stress across to both frame rails, each rail only has to absorb 50% of the load. Well, thats my theory anyways....