Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow ratings for 98 k3500 drw

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by ryan22re, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

going to look at one tomorrow, probably has +175k on it. carfax comes out clean. 454, 4l80e, unsure of gear ratio at this point and its an extended cab.

whats the max tow rating? im guessing around 10k or so (+ or - depending on gear ratio im sure). would a gooseneck help out any? ive pretty much decided that id like to try and find a gooseneck trailer, but am a newbie when it comes to tow ratings and trailer ratings.

just wanna tow my k5 around from time to time. think that this will do ok for that.

ive been around the half tons alot, done plenty of work to them, but is there anything i should look for when it comes to wear and tear on these trucks?

thanks in advance.

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The inner door handles break frequently, the factory aluminum core/plastic tank radiators ALWAYS leak from the lower tranny cooler fitting, the tail lights ALWAYS go spastic evenytually and that truck almost definately has 4.10s. All of that stuff is easily fixable, I love my 98 SRW K3500. The vortec 454 will haul some balls but isnt so speedy when towing and it sucks the gas down like it owns Exxon stock. I would highly recomend a gooseneck, I tow my trail turd around on a 20' bumper pull trailer and it rides like total **** if I dont have it on the trailer just right. I would recomend trying to avoid towing a fullsize with a bumper pull all the time if you can. Not saying there's anything worng with it, but if you are getting a trailer anyway you might as well get a gooseneck.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

All 3500's came with at least 4.10's and a few came with 4.56's. With the 4.10's you are rated at 10K bumper pull (weight distributing of course) and 12K fifth wheel/gooseneck. I agree with afroman. Solo the truck is an animal, but hook up over 5K in trailer and you def. feel it. Not that it's not a good tow rig, you just aren't going to make any speed records when accelerating, or going up hills. I loved my '00 3500 and '99 2500 sub. They were great trucks to use for towing.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

well, i went and looked at this truck, and a 94 k2500 sub. it just aint in the cards. old lady veto's again. imma keep looking. but thanks for the responses.