Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow rig: 2wd or 4wd?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Feb 21, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Since I've already got a toy, I'm looking toward a 2wd tow rig for the following reasons: initial cost, gas mileage, more crap to wear out. Someone tell me why this is a good or bad idea. I'm going in about 3 hours to buy a truck. And the only way I can afford a 4x4 is to buy used. But with the 2wd, it's only gonna be new with the 100K/7 year warranty. You see any reason why i'd hafta have a 4x4?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If its AT ALL SNOWY, 2wd and towing SUCKS!!

Same goes for mud or something similiar. Or hell, wet grass and towing.

Only takes once to wish it was 4 wheel.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

true true...well hell, we'll see what the dealer offers when i get there.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless you plan to drag a camper into remote locations or something, then the 2WD should be fine for just about anything. A posi rear axle can help the 2WD get into most places that you could reasonably expect to tow a trailer with a full size truck. [​IMG]

Snow isn't much of a problem in most of Texas, so as long as you stay out of the white stuff....

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks man, that's the kind of reassurance I was looking for. Basically it boils down to these two:

'01 Used Cummins, auto, 4x4 with 16K miles
    '01 New cummins, 6 speed, 4x2 brand spankin new.

Prices are right at the same. I'm leaning toward the new, but 4x4 would sure be nice. Argh, why cant money be limitless?

Sherman, Tx

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Tough choice! Does the original warranty transfer to you if you buy the used one? 16K miles is just a drop in the bucket of the expected lifespan of a Cummins. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that I dont know yet. Do you know if the drivetrain on dodge diesels has a 100K warranty? If so, I'm sure it would transfer over.

Sherman, Tx

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I don't think they have the 100K mile warranty. I'd take the 2wd if you want economy. Also, 2wd trucks can pull more than 4x4 trucks because they have less weight. Get the 4x4 if you drive/tow in snow or tow down muddy roads. Other than that, get the 2wd.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

snow? once a year if we're lucky. I dont know as of now, but I'll post pics when I get it loaded out ready for amarillo this weekend.

Sherman, Tx

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Damn, dont trust me do ya? LOL j/k!

4WD! [​IMG] What about those winter Rubicon trips when it is snowing?

Mike

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>
    says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If you get the 2wd, just make sure you dont park on grass. Especially if it is wet. or on a slight inclide on grass.

One guy in my club has a 2wd and hates it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

12. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

This is just my opinion. The only way I would buy another 2wd is if it has a posi or some kind of limited slip AND a manual transmission.

Why a manual? It's a lot easier to get out of trouble if you can work the clutch to "rock" yourself out. An automatic is usually a no win situation.

Just my experiences. I had a 2wd chevy shortbox ,manual, posi, VERY good winter tires, and weight in the back and I swear that thing could go through more than a normal 4x4. I am sure it couldn't but it was real good.

4x4 does have a much better resale value if you are conserned about that sort of thing.

Just my .02 Good Luck! Nick

My Truck <a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Go new what ever you do, especially with a dodge.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd go used and let someone else absorb the depreciation. With the (slightly) used truck you'll get way more truck for the buck...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>