Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow rig choice: '94 Ford vs '94 chevy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jan 11, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Tow rig choice: \'94 Ford vs \'94 chevy

Looking at two trucks. Considering that money's extremely tight, but getting a pig isn't an option either, which one would you choose and why? btw, the cummins i was looking at sold the day before my loan. [​IMG]

1. '94 F250, Powerstroke, auto, 4x4, 128,000 miles, ugly ass paint, straight body, runs good, used to be a fleet truck, $6000

2. '94 C2500 Chevy 6.5L Turbo Diesel, 5 speed, 129K miles, 2wd, nice truck that hasn't been ragged on from appearances, runs good, seems like it might need a clutch soon, $4000.

Those are my two immediate choices and I'm ready to rock on this tow rig thing. What would you choose and why? It's also to be a daily driver so mileage ect is important as well.

Thanks in advance
    Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: Tow rig choice: \'94 Ford vs \'94 chevy

neither
    go buy an old Chevy BB Crew Cab Dually for a few thousand and then put a few more into it. 85 erra is good. to me anyway. you can spend the sam in it and get a better more reliable truck.

chevy Diesels suck till the duramax came out. the T5 tranny sucks for the most part. fords are expensive to repair and if you get a 4x4 tow rig you WILL END UP LIFTING IT. i almost guarente it.

But if i had to choose, i would go with the chevy. it is a manual. it cost less to repair. (except engine.) and to me they are more comfy inside and out.

Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey thanks man...the ford just left to it's new owner and it's not me, but he's got another one that's 2wd and working on a price. This might be the one for me...

Ok this new one is a '94 with the same ugly two tone yellow and white (yuck), 140K miles, auto, diesel, but it has a toolbox, bedliner, and 18 horse air compressor. It's a 2wd. Guy wants 5K for it. whatcha think? oh it's an xl too.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by laketex on 01/11/02 05:15 PM.</FONT></P>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would go with the Powerstroke. One of the guys in the 4WD club I'm in has a 97 w/ a turbo and its an animal even with 35s and stock gears. GM deisels arent as good as the Powerstroke or Cummins

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Powerstroke. I do think the GM Diesels of the past were okay for durability, but, not for power, and not for towing.

I don't care for any Diesel truck with an auto tranny though. I think auto trans and Diesel should never be mixed.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont believe the 94s even had Powerstrokes and if they did it was the first year for them which means it will most likely have more problems than the newer ones. The Chevy wouldnt be too bad if its a 94. It should have a mechanical injector pump which is much less prone to failure and is much cheaper to replace. Since its a 5 speed it will have an NV4500 which will all know is a great tranny. It may have a FF rear or an SF. I dont know how much youre towing but you might want to pass if its got a SF rear.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

7. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

there was a turbo diesel option in 94,indirect injection.powerstrokes first came out in 95 with direct injection and a bunch more power.

8. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

94 is the first year for the infamous DS4 electronic injection pump in the GM's. I would look for an 92-93 gm diesel with mechanical injection, or a gasser. The auto in the ford is a big???

84k20,18:1- 6.5td,400/208,4.10,4",35"s

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dammmmmm....so basically i'm looking at 2 dogs???

Sherman, Tx

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I always hate to see a ford pulling a chevy, just don't look right, if you get an older chevy, you could have parts interchangability between the two, you could cannablize your tow rig to keep your trail rig running then put it all back together to go home!! wouldn't that be fun!!!

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]