Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow rig comments

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by beater_k20, Nov 16, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've been considering purchasing or building a tow rig eventually, as it would be much easier to trailer my rig to beat on it, and i'm always having to borrow my uncle's truck whenever i want to tow something (parts trucks, derby cars, enduro cars, etc.) i was thinking a dually would be best, but i just dont like the looks of them to be honest. i want to stick with a standard cab, so i was thinking K20 or a K30, possibly a C20/30 if i found a good enough deal (K30 would probably be raped of its 60 though... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) this pic was posted a few days ago in another thread. [​IMG]
    i just love the way it turned out. what would the advantages/disadvantages of a setup like this be?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Other than the reduced stability from not having the rear wheel track wider, I see none. The main reason for duals is to have more tires to take the load, which this achieves.

I'd say that's a great idea...and easier to park, too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I basically have the same comment as Tim. You would loose a little stability without the extra width, but other than that I think thats it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It may have a reduction in stability over a standard dually, but it will still tow better than a SRW. Not to mention increased load capacity. I would love to have one, would make a much easier DD than a traditional dually.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You will also lose bed space since your wheel well tubs will have to be inboarded about another tire width. Would suck for hauling sheet metal, plywood, ect which would otherwise slide down the middle. The truck pictured looks to just have a cab and chassis rear axle in it. Your stability won't go down but maybe 1%. Whooptee doo. What do you think the cab and chassis trucks are built for? Hauling and towing. And they aren't wide and stoopid looking like a dually. If you could deal with the decreased bed space, It looks like a good deal to me. You also might want to check on clearances with 5th wheel hitches btwn the bracketry and the tubs.