Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOW RIG DUALLY OR SINGLE REAR WHEELS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2BLAZERS, Apr 25, 2002.

1. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The wife and I have, really just me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) have started to look at getting a tow rig. Anyone have any experience with trucks carrying a Slide-in-Campers and towing a K5 on a trailer. My main question is does the Dual rear wheels help with on road stability and floation enough to offset the mileage being lower and the addition of two more tires to replace. Any other comments on dually vrs single rear wheels? I already know the load limit differnces. We have been looking at the 3/4 and 1 ton versions. Wanting to get a slide in camper in the next two years.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The more weight you have, the more you will want a dually. They help out alot. You will hardly notice the trailer is back there.

Dan

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

They do help out a lot with a slide in. However I went with a single rear, since the pickup is my DD and I also do some light-duty wheeling w/it.

Pete

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Mileage between the two will not be noticably differant. Dual wheels are much more stable, especially with the camper. Go with the duals.

Ken H.

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have been very happy with my dually. Ofcoarse I went from a 95 short bed stepside chevy to a 2000 F350 Superduty 4x4 crew cab dually!!!! It pulls like a train!!!

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I've got a chevy ext. cab dually 2WD longbed. Couldn't ask for a smoother ride and I don't even realize the trailer is back there. Duals seem to make it much more stable cause I don't sway one bit while the wind is blowing.

David

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Depends on what you're doing with it. You want to fit it in a parking lot easily, get the srw. But if you're getting a slide in camper and towing, a dually will really help you out. Without the slide in, I'd reccommend the srw truck.

8. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the posts. It looks like we will be going with a dually then. This really will be mostly a tow rig for a trailer for the k-5 and hopefully a slide in camper in a few years.

We will be making our purchase early next summer after the new Heavy Duty Dodge has been out for a while to compare it against the new 1-ton chevys. I am saving money till then. Still can't believe how spendy new trucks are.

Thanks again:)