Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow rig? HD vs SD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Jan 10, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Okay guys thinking about getting a serious tow rig and selling my burb. Its betwen the new Duramax diesel 3500 HD and the Powerstroke diesel F350 SD? whats your guys opinion
    Thanks Dan

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

i am predicting a heated discussion on this topic.

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i've never used a duramax diesel, but my grandfather pulls all sorts of farm equipment, boats, trailers, moblie homes, etc. we used to have a cummins diesel and did very good the problem i saw with those was that the suspension wore out too quick (but it gave a better ride) he then got a powerstroke and man there is no going back. i don't like the way the ford looks but dang if you want pulling power then shoot yeah. pulling the same load up the same stretch of interstate (I77 over Fancy Gap Mountain) the cummins would travel at about 55 mph top speed, the powerstroke would cruise right along at 70. now that is a difference. me though, i would get the dodge b/c i like the look and better ride quality, i am sure they have beefed up the engine too. the cummins we had was a 96 and the powerstroke was a 2001.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

The Powerstroke is a powerfull engine, BUT the Duramax IS the most powerfull diesel offered in any light truck, plus you get an Allison 5 speed, And a bowtie on the Grill. Con, IFS, but if you don't plan to lift it, no problem!!

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

5. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

The Superduty is the way to go. Chevy grew half a brain and got some one else to build a motor for them. Now they just need some one to build a frame for them &amp; get rid of that IFS crap.

Its a one ton jeep thing

6. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Yeah on the frame and IFS crap!

RGF
    01 GMC2500 HD owner

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For a 2wd strickly tow rig:
    1. New Chevy Duromax/Allison (and you may say that I am just being brand loyal but I am not, I love this new combo over anything else).
    2. Dodge Cummins turbo with Manual transmision only.
    3. Ford Super Duty with Powerstroke

If you will want a 4wd
    1. Chevy (unless rock crawling or high lifting, but who usually does that with a $40+ tow rig), smoothest ride with IFS (MHO)
    2. Ford (would be #1 if you want to plow or put a suspension lift in)
    3. Dodge only with manual. I put as number 3 because the frontends and suspension (F&amp;R) tend to be VERY problematic (relatively).

That is based on powertrain and ride quality, as I have experienced each while towing (driving and/or passenger). I don't like to pick on Dodge, because the Cummins is an AWESOME motor (you can't take that away from them), but the rest of the truck is marginal at best. Looks are something you have to see what you like, but I wouldn't buy a tow rig on how it looks as a poser. If I were to buy a truck on looks, Dodge would be toward the top, if not at the top. I love the way they look, I just don't like the way my aquaintences complain about the frontends, auto trans, and suspensions that seem to change to quickly. Every vehicle has problems (Dodge just seems to be the leader in that category.....sorry Mopar fans....not meant as an insult).

Again this is just one man's opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    [​IMG]

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

8. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

i got into a huge discussion with someone on a different website. we both went on each manufacturers sites and saw that ford and dodge both offer about 25 more hp when you get a manual. making the ford have 275hp/520lbs and the dodge 250hp/505lbs. and the duramax is the same with auto or stick, 300hp/520. also my dad was at a big farm show a year or so ago and there was a diesel perf. booth there. couldnt tell you what brand it was but my dad said there was a guy there talking to the rep. about his dodge and what go fast goodies he could get. i guess the rep said they dont touch them unless they have a manual and the guy was pissed badly. i dont know if other perf people do the same but apparently the ford/dodge autos cant hold up to much tuning over stock. to make a long story short, if you get a ford/dodge, get a stick and become a gearjammer.

9. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Really depends on what you're going to use it for besides towing. If you're only considering auto transmissions, GM's the only choice with the 5 speed Allison. If you're talking manual trans, then you're talking 6 speeds and they all have them. Heavy off road use dictates solid axles in my book. Much easier and cheaper to lift, hold up better and stronger too. Now we're down to Dodge and Ford in 1 tons. Nothing wrong with the Dodge, but I think the Ford will hold it's value better over the long haul and make more power either stock or modified.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'll second the weakness of the Ford and Dodge autos. They both derate/detune the motor for autos. The new Allison is awesome. I have it in my 8.1L 4wd 2500HD. 3.10 1st and .70 OD. Cool tranny temp guage too.
    I have K5's for playing around with. IMHO the IFS is great for towing. Very good ride. AND the new IFS is much better than the previous generation.

no flames, just MHO,
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you know, GM did not have anyone build a motor for them. Isuzu designed the engine, but GM owns nearly half of Isuzu, so unlike Ford and Dodge, that's an in house deal.

My personal pick would be the Ford Powerstroke. I would not have any Diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, with an automatic transmission, but that's just my opinion. If you like an auto, go for it.

I prefer solid axles/leaf springs all around. Only the Ford offers this. I like the look of it too.

And next year all of them get D60 fronts from the factory.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. DesertDueler

It will be an auto tranny since I will have to drive it around to work and back every once in a while. I will be 2wd since they are cheaper, and I thinks duallys look better lowered than lifted IMO. Ford has international make there diesels. I was thinkindg of dodge also , but heard there trannys were junk. If I wanted 4wd I would definatly go single wheel F350 and lift it, but I dont need to own another lifted truck :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess, get the Chevy then. I have heard of less problems with the Allison than the others.

I prefer all leaf springs whether I'm lifting it or not, but since it'll be 2wd, it don't really matter. (because it don't have them up front anyway)

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 01/10/02 09:28 PM.</FONT></P>

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

If you want an auto tranny... the choice is pretty much made IMO... go with the Chevy. Those Allisions are absolutely AWSOME for hauling! I love the one in the tow trcuk we have... only thing I actually like about that truck though. Otherwise I still like Powerstokes. Dud... er dodge [​IMG].... enough said. Cummins is the only goo thing in that truck IMO

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Looks like K30gambi might have been wrong. Looks Like we're wore out from the last "heated debate." -

I agree with most of the replies. I think Leadfoot realy spelled it out.

IFS does not "suck" It is the best road holding, acuate, cofidence instilling suspension sys there is. Nothing beats a IFS on the road.

Chevy frames are THE best frames on the market! (4wd and 2wd)
    Chevy frame front sections are "hydo-formmed". A single piece of tubeing is pressed into shape, from hydrolic pressure from the inside. This keeps the frame uniform, threw-out the entire section. The mid-section is stamped -C-chennnel, the rear section is a stamped -U-. Some of the cross members are shaped tubeing, welded on both the inside and out-side of the boxed frame. The H/D truck frame is also about 2 inches taller than the 1/2 tons, giveing it the miss-concived "body-lift" look. This was done, to increase load-carring and reduse "step-in" height.

Ford S/D frames (4wd, not sure on the 2wds)
    Are 1/4" stamped U-channel. Nothing special. (kinda like a 1960-ish truck)

I recently had the opritunity to drive a S/D P/S again This one was a 4wd, 1999 with 50K.
    I tried to give it a chance, and as best as I could, erase everything I know of them. Really, I tried, I drove it twice,just to make sure! (On my time, I might add)
    After the drive, I was less than inspired. (I can't belive Ford can sell these things) I'am convinced it has to be a marketing ploy or "band-wagon" thing, or the fact that anyone can finance a Ford. What-ever it is, this thing had absolutly no comrarison to the Chevy. Honestly.

I drove a '99 chev 3/4 with a 6.0, 4L80, 9.5 ring gear. Right after that. The Chevy beat the snot out of the Ford in every catigory. (I'm not kidding) The 3/4 6.0L chev ROCKED! Felt good, good power, and the steering was confident. Only a fool wouln't bye that truck! (I called 2 of my buddys, that were looking for a truck, and highly-recomended it)

Dodge has come around!
    The "lil" cummins is extramly strong. I think it feels better than the duramax. That engine will pull you back intoo the seat, when the turbo spools up. I'am very impressed with the Cummins! It really rocks! But.... I have towed with the Dodge, and to say it kindly, it is a wandering-darting, rutt-grabbing SOB. In other words, don't let go of the wheel!

Facts as I see it!

Test them out yourself and I'm sure you will agree!
    -

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

16. DesertDueler

I am going to look at the new GMC because I like the grille on them better. I have put alot of chips in the fords at work, but the auto-trans. doesnt like them after a while. I dont want to have any tranny probs. Thats the reason I am getting rid of the burb. That and I figure the burb will make a good daily driver for someone, or a good camping vehicle.

17. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I test drove the SD and the HD recently. I did not drive the Dodge as my experience with them is that they require too much maintenance and I HAD to have an auto for the wife to drive. I ordered the SD. I like the cosmetics and really like the feel of a solid front axle. The 2002s use a D60 instead of the D50 for a little more robustness. I also was looking for a SRW 1 ton. Not many choices. In regards to the trans, I believe the Allison is a better set up but it is still unproven in these trucks. On the Ford, I will run a B&amp;M trans pan to increase fluid capactiy. I may also add a spin on external filter just to be sure. Since I only tow on occasion I opted for the V10. It's not a torque monster but it runs smooth and with 4:30s pulls very well.

18. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i am a builder, and have a 99 f350 and we are constantly hauling heavy equipment, and every thin else imaginable, and i now have about 70k miles and have ahd zero problemsi got mine with 411's and limited slip, it is also a 2wd. mine is not a dually, but they have the same towing capacity unless you go fifth wheel
    only drawback is it rides like a haywagon unles loaded with about 2k lbs in the bed
    i would definetly buy another one

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

19. DesertDueler

Anybody else? See I really like the F350 because of the international motor and I can get a chip that gives it 60 more hp and 250 ft/lbs. I just dont know how well the auto trannys will hold up. I will be two wheel drive since I have me Jimmy for playing in, and I want a dually and I think lifted duallys look wierd.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I like them both. The HD with the new Duramax has alot of power and will haul just about anything. The SD will too. If you can get the chip the SD might be the way to go. If you don't get crazy with the skinny pedal the tranny should hold up. If you do go SD make sure you get the extended drivetrain warranty though just incase the tranny can't handle the power. Drive them both, and see which ones interior you like the most. You will spend a fair amount of time there so you might as well be comfortable.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.