Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Rig Order of Operations???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jan 8, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

As you know from the ultimate tow rig post, i've been thinking about building my own rig, and soon before my F150 hits 130K. What I want is a '80s crew cab short box (custom) 4x4. Now I've 2 paths I could take for an engine. 454 or cummins. And now I have 2 trucks I'm looking at.

1. '82 Crew Cab 4x4 with 454/400/208. Int is rough, this is a work truck but it runs pretty decent. Body is rough as well, but I'd have to go over all that. My first time to care about the body [​IMG] $2500

2. '95 2WD Dodge Cummins 2500 auto. Body is all beat to hell, but int is actually decent. Motor runs good, $3500

What I'd love to do is buy both and combine them. But I really only have about $4000 to spend. So If I can get $500 off each truck, I'll be at $5000.

What can I sell a 454/400/208 for?
    What can I pick up a NV4500/? for?

can I even these 2 out? I think I can make 1K on parting out the dodge without the motor. Body's beat, but int is nice....

And is it even possible to mate a cummins 12v to a NV4500 chevy?

What do yall think???

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I think you're opening a huge can of worms, the fab work alone would be <font color=green>$$$$</font color=green> to combine and make a Dord. I'd stick with a complete Chevy (couse I'm a Chevy guy) the rat will work well, gas hog but ballsy. Body work is just labor intensive..(your labor) and the interior is bolt on stuff you can buy....all kinds of aftermarket stuff for the rat to make it better!
    the cummings well its a cummings.. good motor but aftermarket improvements are <font color=green>$$$$$</font color=green>. Have you considered a old Suburban with a rat in it, great tow rigs! Plus the stuff in back is dry!!!! thats a PLUS

GO WITH THE CHEVY and never look back!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

White Knight

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I believe you could have a great tow rig with the Cummins power in a crew cab. I've thought of much the same idea myself. Tough to beat a Cummins engine. If you use the Dodge version NV4500 and then adapt it to a GM 205, 208 or 241 TC, hydraulic clutch setup from 85 &amp; up GM truck, you would have half the battle done. 1 ton axles will do fine with the Cummins and I would gear it about 3.54 or 3.73 with 33" tires since Cummins don't have the RPM levels of the 6.2's.

Should be able to get $800 to $1500 for a used 454/400/208 combo, depending on condition of everything.

Buying a "rough" body and interior can cost a pretty sum to get into shape. Keep that in mind when shopping.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    This may not be a direct answer to your question, but GO CUMMINS!!!!!! I got a 94 2500 Ram 4x4 with the CTD in it and let me say " THIS THING IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!" The people on the www.turbodieselregister.com will usually say "Blessed by Cummins, Dammed by Dodge". The only complait I've got is the actual truck. I wanted a Extended cab manual long bed, and got a Std. cab auto long bed. I also just picked up a 2001 12k 18' Car hauler w/dove tail last week. looks like the blazer just officially became a trailer queen ;)

Go cummins, you can't go wrong. If you look at the TDR site, they have all kinds of information, and the people are second to none! I've been to a meeting (regional) and all the people there were willing to help me out and answer any question I had.

Well thats my opnion. But you know how those go, they are like a$$ holes, everybody has one, and they all stink!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

White Knight,
    The Cummins is by far the cheapest diesel to get huge amounts of power out of. You can take a 96-98 motor and spend 300 bucks and get an honest 300+ hp and 600+ ft lbs of torque. Spend another 650 and youre looking at 500 or so hp and 800 ft lbs of torque.

Also, this conversion isnt too bad. Once you get the motor tranny and tcase its not that expensive. I know because I have just started this conversion.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

man, mike...i sure like a 454 growling with power, but there's so much to like about the cummins as well. I dont care for the dodge, but that motor is awesome. Plus I might be able to pull 10-14 mpg. Try that with a 454. I'm going to look at the dodge tommorrow. This thing is BEAT bodywise, but otherwise is said to run good. We'll see....then when I get out of school (1 year left thank God), get the crew cab K30 and go from there!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

my bad, I've just never seen or read of upgrades for a Cumming that wasn't a butt-load of bux...I'd still go for the 454...I'm just not into Diesels had one once and still hate it, and I haven't owned it for 14 years. It stank, was a pain to change oil, and recently after having to follow one down a trail, I wouldn't put anyone in that position, it was like horseback riding with the lead horse's ass in your face..stinking..[​IMG].but hey I understand the appeal for towing with them. Just remember the first three letters in <font color=red>DIE</font color=red>sel.[​IMG]

Later White Knight

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a 6.2.

The 12 valve Cummins are easy and cheap to upgrade, the '96-'98.5 motors being the best.

Stock 215 hp, 440 ft lbs.

$300 torque plate, 330 hp, 750 ft lbs.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i'd go for the diesel myself,,specially that nice and noisy cummin's[​IMG]and for what the price of fuel is up to anymore,for a tow rig i think you'd definately make out in fuel mileage even if you turned it up some and made it puff[​IMG]

P.S. just make sure white knight isn't behind you,,she might get all carboned out and go OVER you [​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For some inspiration, here's a link to a Suburban with a 5.9L, twin turbo Cummins. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.maximumdiesel.com/index2.html>http://www.maximumdiesel.com/index2.html</a>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...