Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow rig problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, Jul 20, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

alright guys, i know this is ck5.com and not powerstroke.com but i have a 97 f250 for a tow rig and witht the powerstroke in it and its acting up....heres the problem.... while driving down the road, the truck starts jumping and hopping like its running outta fuel but once it warms up it stops.... its not fuel selector valve for the two tanks so what else could it be? thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Long shot, but maybe the fuel filter is full of water and when it heats up water vaporizes when sets it condenses? My dads powerstroke did weird things when it had water in fuel.

3. jacked_86chevyk10

thats kinda what i was thinkin but i checked the filter and it was all good....so i have no idea..and im gonna be takin the k10 up to the mountains this weekend so i need to hurry up and get it fixed!

4. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Get fuel treatment additive. Dries the fuel. Change the fuel filter. Then invest $40 or so to run the fault codes on a diagnostic computer. Could have an injector going bad from having had water in the fuel.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

5. jacked_86chevyk10

alright man, ill try that!! appreciate it!

6. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

When was the last time you changed oil because I had one in the shop the other day with the same symtoms when it was cold. The man that owned the truck had not changed oil in 5000 miles so we changed the oil and the miss at start up disappeared. The powerstroke fords use a high pressure oil pump to drive the injectors and when oil gets to thick the high pressure pump has a hard time trying to build enough pressure to fire the injectors. Yes try some injector cleaner may work to.
    Good luck.

bigred81

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Go to Ford dealer and have them check for a bad cam sensor or any other codes. The mechanicals of the Pstroke are pretty stout, but the electronics suck and are usually the cause of a miss or no start from what I have seen.