Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Rig: Pstroke vs cummins vs 6000

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Feb 18, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Gotta find me a tow rig in the next 3 days. Everyone up here is running 6-7K off MSRP sales and even that's negotiable. So perfect timing. Here's my 3 choices and why. But I'm going to test drive today. What are your thoughts?

1) Dodge 3/4 ton cummins 6 speed 4x4. They market them down here as farm trucks. They're stripped except for a 40/20/40 split bench and a/c. The msrp on those are 26K for a reg cab. Pros: excellent mileage, good pulling power, longetivity, 100K warranty. Cons: it's a damn dodge.

2) Ford Powerstroke. They've got a few around for around 29K msrp with diesel and 6 speed, 4x4 of course. Pros: it's not a dodge, more power than a cummins, love the look of the superduties. Cons: less mileage than a cummins, maybe less longevity too, a bit higher price.

3) Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with 6.0/5 speed. Haven't found a truck with this package yet but I bet they're out there. Found one with the automatic for 32K, so maybe 30K for one with a std tranny. Pros: gas mileage for commuting, it's a chevy. Cons: not the power of a diesel (cant afford a dmax), only a 36K warranty, friggin higher price than a ford or dodge diesel.

Now some opinions. Go ahead. Btw, I know this may not be the best forum for this. But this truck will be bought primarily to pull my blazer. Otherwise I'd get a 20K half ton pickup.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

buy the cummins
    they dont have $1500cdn injector driver boxes that die outa the blue
    you can bump the power to beyond belief

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

3. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I hate them, but the Dodge is your best bet for towing. The Cummins is a good engine with nice torque curve. Only problems I have heard are tranny input splines and general brakes issues.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

interesting
    all i have heard is that the dodge guys dont like the nv4500 and the nv5600 is considered A1

the PS is a good truck but the hydraulic electric injection adds complexity over the simple cummins old school

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've been searching/testing all 3 - so far my favorite is the 'Stroker, but the Dodge has the better engineered plant. Add a Pac-Brake or similar, and the Dodge is a pretty formidable package.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

CUMMINS BUDDY (6 inline=Power ALL the time) [​IMG] My roommate has a 1 ton Ram w/ a cummins and it is sweet...Shure the rest of the truck is a Dodge, but the engine is amazing...I have a friend w/ a 2001 Cummins Dodge 3/4 ton the is bombed beyond belief and he is putting about 450 hp and 950 ft. lbs of torque TO THE GROUND...He smokes Phurd Lightenings on a regular basis... Got to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tdr1.com>Turbo Diesel Register</a> and check out some of the rigs...some guys have 500,000 miles on the engine w/o a rebuild and it still runs strong... once you drive a bombed cummins with over 800 ft. lbs of toruqe at idle, you will see why they are the only way to go when it comes to diesel [​IMG]

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

7. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I just went through the same process. Ended up with a quadcab HO Cummins with 6 speed, towing and camper package, rear posi, etc. $24,000 drive out. I love the truck. It tows damn well. And it is a bargain.

I wanted the Chevy Duramax bad, but man they are proud of those things! Too rich for my blood.

Get the Dodge.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Another vote for Dodge (I own one). I wish I had gone for the diesel but, at the time, I didn't need one at all. Oh well. For me, I would go Cummins, top end manual (5600?), ¾ ton short bed, quad cab, 4x4, with towing package. Then, drop about $2k on Banks to pretty much double the output and your set. If business (and income) hadn't gone to crap in the last year, that's what I would be driving now...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

As much as I love Chebbies, the 6000 won't hold a candle to either of the other two. Especially if you plan any trips that include high altitude driving. The turbos on the diesels keep them making power anywhere. The 6000 is a weak sister by comparison, especially driving over the rockies. [​IMG] I'd scratch it off the list first. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Damn I guess the consensus is the dodge. I'd sure like to find a quad cab 4x4 for around 26K but I'd settle for the regular cab truck. I'm going out to test drive one now!

bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Go diesel.

The only reason I would have bought the Ford over the Dodge is if I had to have a crew cab. The brakes in the last couple years of Dodges are better, although they still have some front end issues, especially eating trac bars.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Another vote for Cummins!

Or find a 1 ton Chevy and put a 4 cyl CAT in it. A guy around here has a early 70's Ford with a 4cyl Detroit in it from a C70 truck. It has over 700lbsft tq!!!!! [​IMG]

But it would be nice to have new.... I would definately go Dodge!!! Screamin Semmin!!!!!

Mike

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>
    says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I got to go with Dodge too. I like the Fords, but the Cummins motor is bad a$$. I met the guy FortCollinsRam did with the Dodge Cummins with 450hp and 900lbft. The cummins motor is really strong, gets better mileage then the Ford, and if you want you can make the motor a superbeast. You can with the Ford too, but I don't think you can do it up like the Cummins. My best buddies dad has a 97 Dodge with a gas motor, and he beats the heck out of that truck and it still runs great.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

14. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I've never driven the dodge but I have driven the Chevy and Ford. I've pulled a heavy mowing trailer with both and can say both pulled well but you couldn't even tell it was back there with the PS. So if for some reason it comes down to the PS and the 6000 go PS.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

15. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

my .02 is get the cummings, it might not be the strongest, but its by far gonna last the longest, and with a mild mod to the injection pump and exhaust you will have a beast. I prefer the cummings stock, especially with the new 6 speed they really made up for the gap between 2nd and 3rd. great mileage, easy to service. Now the powerstroke is great, I would own either if I could afford them. but I am stuck towing with a lil ole 350 2bbl. again just my .02 Jesse

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

16. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Bryan,
    Don't know where all your looking but make sure you check durant, and mckinney, maybe a few dallas dealerships on the phone, tell them the best deal you have and maybe they can compete, I know the honda dealer in mckinney and sherman would almost wage war on one another w/ prices. Get a price from one the go to the other and back and forth till one wont budge anymore.
    good luck man

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ford Powerstroke is my vote. Just as much longevity compared to the Cummins, just as good of fuel mileage in actual use, not nearly as loud as the Cummins, and better fuel mileage than any gas pickup, especially the 6 liter (which is junk, the old 350 powered trucks can pull one backwards).

Cummins would be my 2nd choice as it's rock solid and a really good running gear. I don't care for the coil springs though and the fact that the Cummins is very loud compared to the V8 PSD.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My roommate has a 98.5 Ram with the Cummins so I thought you could get some info from his forum about your decision.

First of all, dump the Duramax. Chevy makes a good truck, but the Isuzu doesn't know diesels. The d-max can only handle 6 psi of boost and the aluminium heads on the motor can't handle the power it puts out. You can't do a lot of modification either b/c the motor is pretty much tricked out.

Powerstoke is a decent motor, but any decent diesel mechanic will tell you that V-8 in a diesel isn't a good design. They hate working on them as noted by other members on this forum, injectors are quite pricey. Ford also has had problem with cavitation in their motors, causing coolant to leak into the engine oil. I'll admit the super duties do look nice and they have a true 4 door, but I want my truck to run - all the time.

The cummins b5.9 has a long track record of reliability and power. I have talked to several members who have 500,000 miles on their motors with no rebuild. All they did was change the oil. Also, the inline six design is known in the diesel world as the way to go. All 18 wheels on the road are inline sixes. These trucks have to run hard and be reliable so you can get the engine companies have done their homework.

From a modification standpoint, you can boost your Hp + 170, torque +500 ft/lbs with nothing more than a chip and new injectors. Total cost, less than $1000. And best of all, it won't hurt the motor. The cummins can take 55 psi of boost and make 350 hp, 800 ft/lbs stock from cummins in high horsepower applications.

You can read other posts like this one on TDR's forum @ <a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=29464&amp;perpage=15&amp;pagenumber=1>HERE</a>

Make sure you check out the picture on the second page of the connecting rods. That picture alone does it for me.

Post your questions and I'll respond as I can. Happy shopping.

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram&gt;My 87 Blazer&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by fortcollinsram on 02/18/02 07:12 PM.</FONT></P>

19. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

my dad has a '93 cummins and loves it.
    chevy diesels...so-so...
    Two people I know washed their powerstroke and did thousands of dollars of damage. I don't understand a motor in a truck that can't get wet?

"Out in Luckenbach Texas, there ain't nobody feelin no pain" Waylon Jennings 1937-2002

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

20. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I don't have a Deisel, but I do have a 2000 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4X4 for my daily driver. If you can get a quad cab-do it. It is great to be able to throw stuff in the back. It has been a great truck. You can't beat the interior room if you are a big guy.
    Also, I've got a buddy with a Super Duty diesel/stick. Granted it was one of the first Super duty's, but he said he will not buy another. The hydraulic clutch line expanded on at about 20k. While towing a bobcat. Not easy to get out of gear with no clutch pedal pressure. The dealer still replaced it with a rubber line.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>